+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would I have to apply from within Canada in this situation?

alimadari

Jan 6, 2015
I can't post links so please add the missing periods where I wrote DOT.

I am a Canadian citizen currently living with my husband, who is a British citizen, in the UK. I understand that I can sponsor him from outside Canada, however he has a job lined up in Canada and we would like to take advantage of this pilot:
cicDOTgc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

On this website (cicDOTgc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp), the bulletin at the top states:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will issue open work permits to certain spouses or common-law partners who are applying for permanent residence from inside Canada, before the approval in principle decision on their application is made.
Does this mean that we need to apply for the spousal visa while we are both in Canada?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, but I'd suggest applying with an Outland application.

The new pilot program indicates that anyone that applies (Inland) in the future and includes an OWP, will receive the OWP in ~ 4 months. If you apply Outland, your husband could potentially complete the entire PR process in 6-8 months!

Don't let the `carrot' on a string...that's at least 4 months `long', hypnotize you into succumbing to the Inland vortex of doom!

Seriously. Inland applicants are currently waiting 16 months just for the first (of 2) approval stages!

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
new OWP will take at least 4 months as they are only issuing for applicants who have already received AOR. It is possible to apply outland for UK applicants even while staying in Canada which usually takes less than a year to complete.