+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would I fall under conjugal partnership or common-law?

dnicolep

Dec 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering where my situation would fit into. I want to sponsor my partner of 1 and a half years to Canada. We have lived together CONSECUTIVELY for 10 months before in the Philippines (I am a dual citizen of Canada and Philippines) from July - May 2019. I had to come back to Canada for the next 5 months (May-October 2019) for work and now I am back in the Philippines and is still living with my partner. Will it still pass for a common-law partnership despite not being able complete a full 12 consecutive months? Will I have to wait to complete another 12 months living with him consecutively to pass that requirement or should I apply under conjugal partnership?

Thanks so much, please let me know your thoughts.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
You are not common-law as you did not live together for 12 months. A conjugal application will fail because you have no legal and immigration barrier from being able to marry (or is there?). You have already demonstrated that you are able to live in the Philippines for a long time, you should complete the 12 months or get married.

Reactions: Buletruck

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
Just because you live together for 12 months will mean your common law in the eyes of immigration.
You have to live together for 12 months AND behave and treat each other like a married couple. So having joint properties, joint bank account etc will all help.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering where my situation would fit into. I want to sponsor my partner of 1 and a half years to Canada. We have lived together CONSECUTIVELY for 10 months before in the Philippines (I am a dual citizen of Canada and Philippines) from July - May 2019. I had to come back to Canada for the next 5 months (May-October 2019) for work and now I am back in the Philippines and is still living with my partner. Will it still pass for a common-law partnership despite not being able complete a full 12 consecutive months? Will I have to wait to complete another 12 months living with him consecutively to pass that requirement or should I apply under conjugal partnership?

Thanks so much, please let me know your thoughts.
You don’t fall under either. You didn’t live together 12 months and there is no barrier to you returning to the Philippines.

robillalovic2

Star Member
May 29, 2019
Hey Guys,
Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it.
I have 1 major issue, I am getting ready to send my PR application under common law, but I have one daughter who resides in my country of origin, her mom filled, signed and notorized the non accompanying children form and sent it to me with an expired driver’s licence.
She does not have any other ID and she applied to renew the driver’s license but never gets it.
What should I do?