+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would I eventually qualify for Conjugal Partner Sponsorship through my girlfriend?

sammy4427

Mar 22, 2022
Common law requires you to live together all week or 1 year. A certain amount of days apart will be overlooked if you have to go on a business trip or go away for a weekend with friends a few times a year without your partner. If you work for a multinational working remotely as a visitor is unlikely to work unless they have no connection to Canada.
Thank you. Unfortunately, they do also serve Canadian clients as Scylla pointed out in a previous thread of mine.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This may be asking for too much, but what would seem like a more reasonable frequency to you? Every couple of weeks? Once a month? We're trying to figure out how to plan out the time before I'm able to get permanent residency through one form or another.
You mean just to visit, right? Not to become common law?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. Unfortunately, they do also serve Canadian clients as Scylla pointed out in a previous thread of mine.
Not sure how @scylla would know whether your employer serves Canadian clients. But assume you are now confirming they do serve Canadian clients which unfortunately makes working remotely as a visitor impossible as I pointed out in my 1st reply. Marriage and outland sponsorship is probably your best option. If you recently graduated you may not qualify for most economic immigration programs. Your other option would be to do long distance until you are ready to get married. If you are only visiting on the weekend and switch up who visits whom every once in a while you should have no problem visiting each other.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes. We're trying to maximize the time we can spend together during the time when we're not yet pursuing permanent residency through common law or other means.
Ultimately it's up to CBSA. It's a hard call for me to make. I would say that it depends on many factors and your ties to the US. If you want to try to spend most weekends in Canada, but it's clear you have a primary address in the US, are working in the US only, are only crossing with basic items needed for a weekend visit each time, then you may be fine with quite frequent visits. I would make sure you have evidence that show property ownership / rental in the US, employment, utilities / bank accounts, etc. Don't pull this out unless you are asked for ties. But have it with you.

Get a nexus card.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Not sure how @scylla would know whether your employer serves Canadian clients. But assume you are now confirming they do serve Canadian clients which unfortunately makes working remotely as a visitor impossible as I pointed out in my 1st reply. Marriage and outland sponsorship is probably your best option. If you recently graduated you may not qualify for most economic immigration programs. Your other option would be to do long distance until you are ready to get married. If you are only visiting on the weekend and switch up who visits whom every once in a while you should have no problem visiting each other.
OP's employer is Microsoft. This was discussed in another thread.

sammy4427

Mar 22, 2022
Ultimately it's up to CBSA. It's a hard call for me to make. I would say that it depends on many factors and your ties to the US. If you want to try to spend most weekends in Canada, but it's clear you have a primary address in the US, are working in the US only, are only crossing with basic items needed for a weekend visit each time, then you may be fine with quite frequent visits. I would make sure you have evidence that show property ownership / rental in the US, employment, utilities / bank accounts, etc. Don't pull this out unless you are asked for ties. But have it with you.

Get a nexus card.
That makes total sense. I definitely have the means to provide evidence for all of those points, and I'll make sure to do as you've avised and only pull it out should it be asked for.

You've been an amazing help to me, and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions and point me in the right direction. I appreciate it!

Kunal Maini

Jul 2, 2020
My girlfriend (Canadian citizen) and I (American citizen) have been dating for 9 months, and in June it will have been a year. I'm going to be working full-time in Seattle this summer and she lives in Vancouver, and we're most likely going to be spending weekends together in Vancouver (with me as a visitor) and weekdays when she doesn't have class together in Seattle (with her as a visitor).

Last year, I spent a week with her in Vancouver in August right when my internship ended. Then from the middle of October - January 2nd we stayed in an Airbnb together in Vancouver since I was able to do all of my classes for that semester remotely from anywhere. We've had no breaks or gaps in our relationship, and even if we don't begin to pursue my sponsorship immediately after we've been together a year, we will most likely begin to try and find ways for me to have long-term legal residency in Canada within the next year/year and a half.

I'm wondering if I would qualify for Conjugal Partner Sponsorship since it seems like we would fit all of the criteria. I live outside of Canada, we'll have been in a conjugal relationship together for more than a year, and the reason why we can't live with each other all the time is just the immigration barrier. I could even get approval from my job to work remotely in Vancouver, but I'd have no way to legally stay there longer than the 6 months a visitor is typically allowed to.
Hi unfortunately you do not qualify for sponsorship as a conjugal partner. However, if you guys get marry then she can sponsor you. For conjugal it’s has to be much more factors than your situation. In your situation marriage is feasible.

RashminderSingh24

Nov 22, 2023
Hi, my gf just moved to canada last year and she is living with me she came here on study permit and i am PR its been almost 6 months here together, she directly came here to me as we were friends before and started staying at same address, so now i am thinking to get marry her, but have no idea it can be a common law or i can marry her and apply for her PR. Can it consider fake as i know her from past 9 years but never tell ircc about it while applying for my PR?