+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

would i be in trouble???

yogini

Star Member
Sep 26, 2010
Going to file the Sponsorship forms soon, but I have an urgent question...
My common-law's best friend just moved in with us, he is a good person but he has some bad habbits...
He smokes pot alot and he buys pot from somebody nearby, would that be an issue for my common-law and I?
Both my common law (boyfriend) and I do not smoke pot AT ALL, and if his friend really got in trouble with the cops, would it affect our sponsorship because we all live in the same house??? :( I am very worry about that, he told me that everything would be okay, and if he got caught with pot, it would not affect me because the pot belongs to him.... I do not want to risk my application because of him.

I would like to get some professional advice from any of you, if you are a lawyer or know something about that, please help me. Thank you.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
If it's illegal and the cops bust him at the house, you might be in trouble.

I have nothing against people who want to smoke a bit, but in this situation, I'd tell him to either stop at the house or find another place to live until the visa is issued....why risk ANYTHING???

FS

Bright_skies

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-06-2013
AOR Received.
21-06-2013
Med's Done....
18-05-2013
I am not a lawyer or anything but it seems to me if he did get in trouble with the law it would definitely affect everyone in the house- the pot cannot be positively identified as belonging exclusively to ONE person in the house. The application forms for permanent residency ask specifically if you live with anyone else, and I would imagine they might check up on everyone.

As my c/law partner reminds me, Canada is extending itself to include us and it isn't taken lightly- I would advice to stay clear of any potential trouble!

itscoezy

Dec 20, 2010
Puerto Vallarta
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2012
Doc's Request.
10-10-2012
AOR Received.
10-10-2012
File Transfer...
07-08-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
Interview........
20-11-2012
Passport Req..
03-01-2013
Bright_skies said:
I am not a lawyer or anything but it seems to me if he did get in trouble with the law it would definitely affect everyone in the house- the pot cannot be positively identified as belonging exclusively to ONE person in the house. The application forms for permanent residency ask specifically if you live with anyone else, and I would imagine they might check up on everyone.

As my c/law partner reminds me, Canada is extending itself to include us and it isn't taken lightly- I would advice to stay clear of any potential trouble!
I agree with the above comments - I wouldn't risk anything... But at the same time, the chances of the cops showing up randomly at your house and busting you is probably slim to none unless this friend is involved in other stuff. I still wouldn't chance it. Keep the stuff outside and smoke the stuff outside or find another place to live.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Think of it this way: you are in the process for a MAJOR life change / decision...the last thing you need or want is trouble with the law. It's cool if he wants to get high, but just tell him not at the house...and not on the property. It's not that big a deal...but I'd guard against anything that could have a blow back effect...

FS

mobeyk

Oct 10, 2011
Picton, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-04-2012
Doc's Request.
additional docs 29-08-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
10-07-2012
Med's Done....
15-11-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 8 2012
LANDED..........
Nov 10 2012
I agree with all. Any possability to get into trouble can have negative effects on your application. It is a criminal offense to smoke and be in posession of pot. Who can guarantee that the friend stays straight when cops show up and say its his. He might as well say its yours and you are in trouble. Just don't risk it and boot him out.

Monrology

May 9, 2012
I would also say, you can get in trouble..
Even though you're not related to him or anything, you're living in the same house and you clearly know what he's been doing..
8)