+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would employer in Canada be willing to support LMIA for new comers?

giangvy1011

May 5, 2020
Hi all,

I would like to have a question about how willingness employers in Canada support worker permit with a LMIA for new comers?
The reason I ask is that I am going to have a closed worker permit to work in Canada in Feb 2021. However, if I found this job was not suitable, I would had applied for new job with new employer. So Would employers in Canada accept me and support my new work permit with LMIA? or they just want to look for people with open work permit? I would like to know about the common sense of this matter. Does anyone have experience like my case? Please advise.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I would like to have a question about how willingness employers in Canada support worker permit with a LMIA for new comers?
The reason I ask is that I am going to have a closed worker permit to work in Canada in Feb 2021. However, if I found this job was not suitable, I would had applied for new job with new employer. So Would employers in Canada accept me and support my new work permit with LMIA? or they just want to look for people with open work permit? I would like to know about the common sense of this matter. Does anyone have experience like my case? Please advise.
Next to impossible to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process in regular times. Given the unemployment levels due to the pandemic, probably even harder for the next while.

leite13

Jan 23, 2020
It´s posible, I´m here only 3 months and already found a company who is applying for a new LMIA, the only thing is many companies don´t even know whats LMIA is.

Reactions: AfricanGiant912

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most employers are unwilling to apply for LMIA because of the cost (around 1K) and the fact 5hat it would take 4-6 weeks to find out whether the FN has received a WP. Waiting 4-6 months not knowing whether you will get an employee is not what most employers want.

Applying for a new LMIA doesn’t mean approval and with a higher unemployment rate employers will be expected to try a lot harder to hire someone who already can work in Canada. You are visa exempt and could flagpole when it was still possible. Non-visa exempt must apply online.

How do you know you have a closed work permit in Feb 2021? You don’t qualify for an OWP unless I am missing something about your profile. If unhappy with your job you would need to find an employer with an LMIA already or find an employer willing to apply for one and then apply for a new closed work permit.