+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Would be happy if some one can help!!!

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
Hello All,

I am married even before I got my PR. I changed my whole name (not just last name or something) to a new name for marriage (religious)purpose. My marriage document has both my old name and a new name, and I have not changed or put my new name in any of the Canadian documents like PR, drivers licence and even my country passport (considering processing times). I am now eligible for citizenship and while filling up my citizenship application, I am really confused for section 4 (b) question:

Question is:

Have you changed your name or gender designation since becoming a Permanent residence?

1)Should I say "Yes" or "No" because I did not legally change my name in my documents after marriage
2)While checking on document list, should I check the photocopies of a name change (will include my marriage certificate)

Any help!! Much appreciated

rajanvnv

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I am married even before I got my PR. I changed my whole name (not just last name or something) to a new name for marriage (religious)purpose. My marriage document has both my old name and a new name, and I have not changed or put my new name in any of the Canadian documents like PR, drivers licence and even my country passport (considering processing times). I am now eligible for citizenship and while filling up my citizenship application, I am really confused for section 4 (b) question:

Question is:

Have you changed your name or gender designation since becoming a Permanent residence?

1)Should I say "Yes" or "No" because I did not legally change my name in my documents after marriage
2)While checking on document list, should I check the photocopies of a name change (will include my marriage certificate)

Any help!! Much appreciated
The right thing to have done in the past is to have applied everything in new name. But now that you have all documents in your old name, it's your choice now.

If you prefer to have canadian passport in old name, you can just apply as all docs references your old name.
If you prefer name , then submit additional evidence showing this change. Then, you will need to do the same thing for PR card, indian passport etc.

Whatever option you choose, ensure consistency in all documents. If you do not ensure consistency, then it could be a problem later.
Goodluck

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks fo reply.. I was waiting like whole day for some kind of response.

Sure, I think it is the best idea for me to change my name after my application is approved.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yes, I would surely do that..I will update here ones I call them
If you call three times... you could get three (different) answers.

Honestly if this was me I’d go get my CoPR and PR card and all updated. Worst case IRCC will want an official name change document which is about $137 (in Ontario anyway) and it’ll take a few months.

You really want Citizenship to be under your new name, I assume. Having different names or trying to change it later I can just see causing more issues in the future. Just my two cents.

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
Hi jc94

Thank you for the reply, yes you are right, IRCC will have multiple answers. I don't want to use the new name for my citizenship because except my marriage document I don't have any supporting document that says my name was changed legally.

But anyhow I did call them this morning, IRCC guy told me to put "Yes" for Question 4(b) and write an explanation letter about my situation(Honestly I don't know what to mention in the letter). I told IRCC guy if I put "Yes" for Question 4(b) then it is asking me for a new legal name, he asked me to leave the column blank where it asks for a new legal name and just mention your married name in section 5.

I strongly believe that for 4(b) the answer is no and for section 5 I should mention my married name!!!

I still need to figure out what should Ido.

Chevy23

May 1, 2014
Vancouver Island
I find this quite simple because you have not legally changed your name.

Q4a. Name as it appears on PR card
Q4b. Check NO
Q5. Put both names. You can select married name and maiden name from the drop down menu to clarify things.

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
hey thank you so much,

that's how I started to answer my application, but I don't even remember when I got deviated and started thinking so much about the simple question.

All the best chevy23 for your application.
Thankyou rajanvnv and jc94 (congratulations to you)

One more last question, While printing the application, hidden lines are also printing (like mailing address column). Is this normal? I hope it's not a great deal.

This forum really helps people to think clearly when they are in need of a suggestion. I would suggest everybody answer in this forum to the best of their knowledge, as we may at least help somebody who is in need of a suggestion.

thank you, guys.

Reactions: Chevy23

Chevy23

May 1, 2014
Vancouver Island
hey thank you so much,

One more last question, While printing the application, hidden lines are also printing (like mailing address column). Is this normal? I hope it's not a great deal.

thank you, guys.
Yes that's ok. It's completely hidden on the form but prints as blank
Good luck with your application

sujani

Aug 6, 2011
Urgent!! can you tell me while printing the application, its in only YYYY/MM format, does it print this format only? I cannot see any dates printing.
how will the immigration officer will check dates, if doesn't print dates?