+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worrying about a stupid mistake

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Hello everybody,

A while ago I recieved an email from my VO in which they told us that they required a statutory declaration of common law union. My boyfriend signed this declaration in front of notary in Canada and I signed a second copy in front of notary here (Netherlands). Now I just woke up in the middle of the night worrying, I remember that I forgot to fill out something on this declaration. Namely we we solemly declare that we have been cohabited in a conjagul relationship for .... continious years. We have been living together for 1.8 years, but on the computer it's impossible to type a period (.) in this document. So after we printed it out we filled that out with a black pen. But now I remember that I forgot to do that with my copy. I can't change it anymore. I just send it in the mail today. Do you think this is going to be a problem? My boyfriend did fill this out on his copy but on mine it's blank.

I did send Vienna an email about it also, and apologized for it.

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Does anybody know if this will be a problem?

Honestly...I've been so stressed out and sleeping so terrible the last two weeks. I was hoping now that it was finally in the mail, that I would get a goodnight sleep, but now I'm worrying about this and not being able to sleep again.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey,

I don't think it would be a problem because your boyfriend's copy is correct, and you have sent an email to explain what is the reason.... and it's important that at least one as the right time, and the notarized copy is only for the signature - that's the important part.
So - I don't think you should worry too much about it, also because there is nothing to do about it. They probably will see that it is just a "typo" ( or absence of!), and look at your boyfriend's copy. Plus they have all the other proofs...

If all goes well, they will be satisfied with it, and your visa should be issued soon. If they want you to sign another form, they will send you an email about it, and it won't take long again... so try to get some rest and wait for more news from the VO - you'll have enough to do running around and packing if you have your visa, you need to get some sleep! :)

Fingers crossed that all will go well,
Sweden

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Thank you for this Sweden, but I realised that I've made another stupid mistake, and that's the same '1.8' on my boyfriend's form.

We have been living together for 1 year and 8 months, so I automatically thought '1.8' years. I've never made such a mistake before. I'm just highly overspend. So on my form it's absent and on his form it's not correct. 1 year and 8 months is not 1.8 years.

Is this going to be a problem?

kafkaesque

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 May 12
AOR Received.
none!
File Transfer...
15 Sept 12
Med's Done....
30 April 12
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22 Oct 12
VISA ISSUED...
(DM 26 Nov)
Remrov said:
Thank you for this Sweden, but I realised that I've made another stupid mistake, and that's the same '1.8' on my boyfriend's form.

We have been living together for 1 year and 8 months, so I automatically thought '1.8' years. I've never made such a mistake before. I'm just highly overspend. So on my form it's absent and on his form it's not correct. 1 year and 8 months is not 1.8 years.

Is this going to be a problem?
Well, 1 year 8 months is 1.6 years, it's not That far off. It was an honest mistake and not an attempt to defraud and I think very easy to explain if it even comes to it.

I would be surprised if anyone even looked at it. The absolute WORST case is that they call you in for an interview in order to make sure you weren't making things up, but I think that is NOT likely.

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Thank you for your respons!!

I did send an email to Vienna to explane this mistake this morning. They didn't recieve the declaration yet (just send it yesterday), but now they know about it before hand. I just want to show them that I'm an honest person. I explaned about how this 'brainfart' of mine happened (I didn't use this actual word in the email of course ;D), and that I sincerely apologize for it, and that I hoped that my explanation through that email was satisfactory.

So for now that's all I can do, and I think it will be okay also this way.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Remrov said:
Thank you for your respons!!

I did send an email to Vienna to explane this mistake this morning. They didn't recieve the declaration yet (just send it yesterday), but now they know about it before hand. I just want to show them that I'm an honest person. I explaned about how this 'brainfart' of mine happened (I didn't use this actual word in the email of course ;D), and that I sincerely apologize for it, and that I hoped that my explanation through that email was satisfactory.

So for now that's all I can do, and I think it will be okay also this way.
AS long as you have explained what you have put, it's OK. Also because the minimum for common-law is to be living together at least 1 year... and whether it's 1.8 or 1,6, it's more than 1 year, and that's what the VO is interested in. so I think it should be fine!
Sweden

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
Don't stress about it too much. I made SO many stupid mistakes, which have eatten me alive since I submitted the app in April. My husband was just issued his visa, so all those stupid mistakes weren't a problem after all.

We are human, mistakes are bound to happen. This is a stressful process and it's easy to dwell on the things we did wrong. If the visa office has an issue, they'll request more information or new forms to be filled out. Otherwise, it's going to be okay! :D

Remrov

May 16, 2012
Thank you all very much for your respons!!!

I already feel a lot better, and it's snowing outside and I'm just deciding to forget about the application and just enjoy the beautiful white world outside.

We are indeed all human being, and so are the people who work at the VO, and everybody makes mistakes every once in a while.