+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worries about an interesting rental offer.

ag123987

Feb 18, 2018
Hi,

I am interested in a basement appartment that was offered to me recently but there are some little details that worry me.

First, to explain the situation:

- The basement is in a house rented by the person who posted the offer.

- This person, I suppose, has a lease with a landlord that I know nothing about.

- Before I went to visit the basement the person told me that past references, proof of employement, and first & last month rent were required.

- When I visited the basement, the person explained to me that I will be her roommate and so I will not have a lease but a roommate agreement. She also told me that it will be a month-to-month agreement. And that she expects a 3 months notice if I decide to leave.

- After I visited the basement, it was offered to me by email, but, the person told me that a deposit (one month rent) was required to "secure the basement" and "in case of "damage caused by me when I leave".

- Please, note that, the person was friendly and she seemed trustworthy, I Don't think she wants to abuse me, I think she wants to protect herself. Also note that, the basement is close to my work place, it is in my budget, and it is difficult for me to find such an offer because landlords are all expecting credit check that I cannot give.

Now, I have so many questions:

- I read on google that it is illegal in Ontario, "for a landlord" (which she is not), to ask for a security deposit for damages. Even if it is the case, in my country it is legal, so I am not chocked. But, in my country, we do a move-in check-list so that we know X years later, when you leave, what was already damaged. Now, is it Something that is done here in Ontario? Will it be enough to get my money back if no damages was caused by me?

- I find abusive that she told me it's a month-to-month renting agreement but at the same time expects of me to give 3 months notice if I want to leave. She could stop renting the house and give me only one month notice…

- What is the value of a roommate agreement? As I have no lease with the true landlord of the house, I think (from what I've read on google) that I am just an occupant of the house, and, not a roommate, so this document would have no value legally? Even if signed by both of us… so… I've no rights? I mean, if she decides to kick me out of the house without notice, could she? If she decides to keep my last month deposit and "security deposit", could she?… Am I wrong? will I be protected by any law?

- With only a roommate agreement, without any lease, can I buy a "tenant insurance" for my belongings? Or, as I am just an occupant and not a tenant, my belongings cannot be insured.

- With only a roommate agreement, without any lease, does the "3 months notice" she asked must be respected?

- With only a roommate agreement, without any lease, does this tenant/roommate can act as a landlord to be my reference for futur housing?

- Does a roomate agreement, without any lease, can be used as a proof a residence in Ontario (for the health card that I Don't have yet)

- What if the tenant stop paying the rent to the landlord? Will I have to pay for the whole house as a roommate?

Please give me advice...

immihelper

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
Sometimes when there are so many questionable parts, it is an indication that it is not the right thing to do.

I would run very far away from this situation. Do not make a decision out of desperation...there are other places there that are available. Keep looking and stay alert.

immihelper

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
I preferred not to answer each question because they are all indications of trouble...run away from it while you still can!

ag123987

Feb 18, 2018
It's best to run now than to get burned
But what would be the risks?
I mean, I am a little desperate because as a newcommer I have no credit check available, and so many landlords ask for it. If the risks are not excessive I would be willing to trust the person I met… it's not a creepy person :(

ag123987

Feb 18, 2018
@immihelper : I have thought about it all day and asked my only friend in Canada. She told me the same as you. I decided to decline the offer. Thank you for your warning which made me think twice. :)

immihelper

Star Member
Feb 21, 2019
My pleasure. I just couldn't sit around and see you make such a huge mistake. I'm happy your friend helped to convince you. Wishing you all the best. You'll find a place soon.

Reactions: ag123987