Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-12-2015
Med's Done....
13-08-2015
I've been concerned about something regarding my application. My husband and I (we just got married in June, yay!) met in 2012 on a depression chat room. We both struggle with depression and he is diagnosed with Panic disorder. Now I figured it'd be best to simply omit this info but I can't because we have each occasionally mentioned our struggles in our evidences - letters, emails, convos etc. What is your opinion on this? Will CIC raise an eyebrow to these facts? Might they conclude that we may not be fit for sponsorship?

Its tough because I need as much evidence as possible (esp when I don't have wedding pics, never had a wedding, no one came, we just went ourselves alone to a judge, etc) so I'm leaning towards keeping it and hoping for the best.

Apologies of this post sucks, I'm typing from my cell.

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To me it doesn't seem like it would be a problem, depression isn't something that would show up on the medical exam so it wouldn't be a red flag that way. I can't see them declaring you unfit to sponsor after reading about it in your relationship proof.

But I also haven't spoken to anyone here who has dealt with putting mental illnesses in their application, so I'm not sure how it would turn out, maybe someone else can answer this better than me!

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
SuiGeneris said:
Will CIC raise an eyebrow to these facts? Might they conclude that we may not be fit for sponsorship?

Its tough because I need as much evidence as possible (esp when I don't have wedding pics, never had a wedding, no one came, we just went ourselves alone to a judge, etc) so I'm leaning towards keeping it and hoping for the best.
No. CIC doesn't need to be privy to the details of your psychology, but these facts here do not speak against your case. For married couples (where the existence of the legal relationship isn't in doubt), CIC cares about two things:

• That the sponsor is not on welfare and that the sponsored person probably won't need welfare when arriving, and
  • That the relationship is genuine and not a fraudulent relationship of convenience, conducted for immigration purposes

For US/Canadian couples, the second point is not one of serious public policy concern -- American citizens don't have financial/quality-of-life reasons to seek illegal immigration. Addressing the first point involves making it plain how you and your spouse intend to support yourselves after immigration, and that has more to do with employment/employability/offers of support than your psyche.

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
KelseyTVS said:
To me it doesn't seem like it would be a problem, depression isn't something that would show up on the medical exam so it wouldn't be a red flag that way.
Even if it were, sponsored spouses cannot be denied based on simply excessive medical demand. Medical inadmissibility would need evidence of some danger to public health like an active TB infection.

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
Embrace your mental health! There is nothing wrong with meeting in a depression support chat room. Your relationship is based upon a common life experience and being able to help each other with the struggle against depression. If anyone were to bring it up in a medical light, the relationship is a positive support mechanism that results in a reduced cost/use of public health services.

Ravcat

Sep 27, 2013
NW Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga/Ottawa ON
App. Filed.......
8-12-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
05-03-2015
Med's Request
Sent w/ App.
Med's Done....
25-08-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Excempt
VISA ISSUED...
11/06/2015
LANDED..........
August 7th, 2015! Through Port Huron!
I am glad that you too found one another, regardless of where and circumstances! Love finds a way!

My suggestion would be to just say you met on an online chat room, you don't have to be specific to which kind if you feel that sharing that information bothers you. My husband and I met online on a game...so I know how it is filling out the paperwork and explaining how you met...can be a bit awkward and annoying.

What is important to CIC is what others have posted, that the relationship is genuine, and that you can support yourselves financially.

The letters, emails, and texts showing the issue of depression and dealing with it is not a big deal, in fact it just reinforces your bond and relationship...

Hang in there :D

Jenzo

Jul 14, 2015
Re: Worried.

Ravcat said:
I am glad that you too found one another, regardless of where and circumstances! Love finds a way!

My suggestion would be to just say you met on an online chat room, you don't have to be specific to which kind if you feel that sharing that information bothers you. My husband and I met online on a game...so I know how it is filling out the paperwork and explaining how you met...can be a bit awkward and annoying.

What is important to CIC is what others have posted, that the relationship is genuine, and that you can support yourselves financially.

The letters, emails, and texts showing the issue of depression and dealing with it is not a big deal, in fact it just reinforces your bond and relationship...

Hang in there :D
I'll just add that my spouse and I met in World of Warcraft. You aren't alone in dealing with an unusual meeting situation!
I would not write an essay about your mental health struggles, but mentioning them in the context of your meeting is perfectly relevant. Any chat proof is good proof.

Brewbrew85

Apr 20, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-MAY-2015
Doc's Request.
23-NOV-2015
AOR Received.
16-JUL-2015 SA: 28-JUL-2015 eCAs changed to IP: 06-AUG-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
DM: 11-JAN-2016
Re: Worried.

Jenzo said:
I'll just add that my spouse and I met in World of Warcraft. You aren't alone in dealing with an unusual meeting situation!
I would not write an essay about your mental health struggles, but mentioning them in the context of your meeting is perfectly relevant. Any chat proof is good proof.

I met my husband on WoW too. It was pretty awkward having to explain exactly HOW we met. Having to explain exactly what a "dungeon" is etc. I actually Lol'd pretty hard after reading it.... Lol