+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worried and not sure where to start

Grentuu

Aug 2, 2015
:-X Hoping for help....

My wife is Canadian but has lived in the UK since 2004. She has settled status (indefinite leave to remain) having come over on a fiancee visa and we married in the UK in 2004. We have only visited Canada once during that time to visit family (2013.) We also have 2 children from her first marriage who are Canadian passport holders who have been here for the same time, they are 21 and 24 now so not dependant.) I however, am British.

We are looking to move back to Ottawa on the spousal program abut are struggling with where to start. The reason for this is my wife was a registered nurse having qualified through University in 2012. Subsequent to this her bi-polar flared up and she had to quit nursing. She is currently receiving PIP (disability) in the UK. She was originally diagnosed as Bi-polar in Ottawa in 1999 approx and was receiving treatment in Canada.) She is now however ready to go back to work, but does not want to do nursing. (stress, etc)

I am a Teacher of English at secondary school, (BA Hons English and PGCE) I have checked with Ontario teaching board and my qualifications allow me to teach without further study. My previous experience is senior management in retail. Also I believe teaching jobs are not easy to get in to in Ottawa. We are looking at Ottawa as my wife's (very large) family all live there.

I am concerned having read posts re her ability to support. We do not have a bundle of cash to bring over. We do have a large family in Ottawa who are willing to support (accommodation etc until we can find jobs/housing) Both our daughters are degree educated and would be looking to move back with us to assist with costs etc while we get set up.

The other question is, what implications are there for my wife, daughters? As Canadians can they simply return?

Can anyone give any advice/direction?

WeeHippieElf

Jul 20, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2015
Doc's Request.
10-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-06-2015
File Transfer...
06-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 13-11-2015!!!
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 09-01-2016!!!!!
LANDED..........
21-05-2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
your wife and daughters can just come back, but you will need to be sponsored. your wife should be able to sponsor you since the social assistance she receives is for a disability. you will just have to explain in your application how you and she will support yourselves (or be supported) when you are in Canada, as you did in your post here. i think your case is pretty darned straight-forward :) good luck!

Grentuu

Aug 2, 2015
Thanks for coming back to me. I thought as a sponsor you couldn't apply for any assistance. I haven't seen anything re disability, do you have a link?

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
[In Process: 03-07-2015 ; Decision Made: 14-07-2015 ; CoPR received 20-07-2015]
LANDED..........
28-07-2015! :) Lewiston, NY
Grentuu said:
Thanks for coming back to me. I thought as a sponsor you couldn't apply for any assistance. I haven't seen anything re disability, do you have a link?
I can confirm that you are eligible to sponsor if you are on social assistance only for reasons of disability. I just landed and my wife (who was accepted as a sponsor and is on social assistance for a disability) didn't have to prove anything financially.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Grentuu said:
Yes disability is fine, I sponsored my husband while on disability. In the guide it says "You may not sponsor if you receive social assistance for a reason other than disability"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp

Grentuu

Aug 2, 2015
Thanks @Ontariobat @ Aquakitty

The issue is we are both out country. (In UK) She is on PIP (disability) in the UK and was previously on ODSP in Canada. But as we look to move she will have to apply once she reaches Canada. Would it make sense for her to go over first, apply for ODSP and wait until she is in receipt before I apply/move?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Grentuu said:
Thanks @ Ontariobat @ Aquakitty

The issue is we are both out country. (In UK) She is on PIP (disability) in the UK and was previously on ODSP in Canada. But as we look to move she will have to apply once she reaches Canada. Would it make sense for her to go over first, apply for ODSP and wait until she is in receipt before I apply/move?
I don't think it would matter, she hasn't received Canadian disability since 2004, correct? So nothing in her record would show any receipt of social assistance. You'd just have to say and/or show that she is only going on ODSP in the future. Is ODSP like in BC where once you qualify it's for life, so she can just go back on it right away? Or do you have to go through the whole process again.

Grentuu

Aug 2, 2015
Not sure about whether she would have to completely restart the process or not. Current processing times state anywhere between 4-10 months which is difficult to say the least as I am assuming she would have to be in country to make the claim.

Going to call them tomorrow, see what they say.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Grentuu said:
Not sure about whether she would have to completely restart the process or not. Current processing times state anywhere between 4-10 months which is difficult to say the least as I am assuming she would have to be in country to make the claim.

Going to call them tomorrow, see what they say.
On their website it says she might qualify for rapid reinstatement. Was she given a medical review date?

For people who were found to have a disability on or after June 1, 1998:

If you were not given a medical review date
If your disability was adjudicated under the ODSP (on or after June 1, 1998) and you were not given a medical review date, you will qualify for rapid reinstatement as long as you are eligible for ODSP Income Support.

It will not matter why you left the ODSP, whether for paid work or other reasons. You will be able to come back at any time — there are no time restrictions.

If you were given a medical review date
People adjudicated under the ODSP are given a medical review date if their disability is likely to improve.

If your disability was adjudicated under the ODSP (on or after June 1, 1998) and you were given a medical review date, but you left the ODSP before the review happened, you will qualify for rapid reinstatement as long as you are financially eligible for ODSP Income Support. You will still have to have a medical review of your disability, but you will be able to come back and receive income support first.

It will not matter why you left the ODSP, whether for paid work or other reasons. You will be able to come back at any time. After you come back, you will have your medical review.

However, if you already had a medical review that determined that you no longer qualify for the ODSP, you are not eligible for rapid reinstatement. In this case, you will need to re-apply and be adjudicated again.

Grentuu

Aug 2, 2015
When she informed ODSP that she was leaving Canada in 2004, she was asked to sign off ODSP which she did. So I'm guessing she'll have to make a new application. :(

Ontariobat

Star Member
Jul 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-01-2014
Passport Req..
[In Process: 03-07-2015 ; Decision Made: 14-07-2015 ; CoPR received 20-07-2015]
LANDED..........
28-07-2015! :) Lewiston, NY
I would see if you can talk to someone at ODSP. I would really think that she would be eligible for rapid reinstatement, but obviously they have a better idea of the system. Considering she's a citizen, I'd imagine it'd be like moving to a different province and then back.