+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Worpermit For Dependent

Simra Fatima

Oct 18, 2019
Hello Ladies & Gents,
Good Day to you all,
I recently got the visa for Masters in Buss. Admin.
As we all have visit visa from 2 years and we didn't utilized it, Now my dependents plan to join me in Canada and apply for work permit and TRV (for my kids to go to school).
How long is it taking for dependents to apply for work permit from India, Will it be good to go on visit and apply for Work Permit there locally in Canada or apply it from India itself.
And if yes how much time would it take to get work permit in Canada.
what will be the formalities and list of step to proceed with applying work permit in Canada.

Thanks & Regards,
Simra Fatima

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Just warning you the permits/visas are never guaranteed for families of international students so you may want to apply from India.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Ladies & Gents,
Good Day to you all,
I recently got the visa for Masters in Buss. Admin.
As we all have visit visa from 2 years and we didn't utilized it, Now my dependents plan to join me in Canada and apply for work permit and TRV (for my kids to go to school).
How long is it taking for dependents to apply for work permit from India, Will it be good to go on visit and apply for Work Permit there locally in Canada or apply it from India itself.
And if yes how much time would it take to get work permit in Canada.
what will be the formalities and list of step to proceed with applying work permit in Canada.

Thanks & Regards,
Simra Fatima
They can come to Canada on their TRVs. Your husband can apply for an OWP within Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just warning you the permits/visas are never guaranteed for families of international students so you may want to apply from India.
They already have TRVs, which is the initial hurdle. They can come as visitors and change status within Canada, which is almost never refused.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They already have TRVs, which is the initial hurdle. They can come as visitors and change status within Canada, which is almost never refused.
We don’t know much about their case. They may need all their savings to pay for the MBA. Just wanted to warn OP that SOWP are never guaranteed for spouses of international students.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We don’t know much about their case. They may need all their savings to pay for the MBA. Just wanted to warn OP that SOWP are never guaranteed for spouses of international students.
The refusal generally happens when people are applying from outside of Canada for the first time. OP's family already has TRVs, so they should have no issues.

Simra Fatima

Oct 18, 2019
The refusal generally happens when people are applying from outside of Canada for the first time. OP's family already has TRVs, so they should have no issues.
Hi Everyone,
Thanks 1 & all for your responses.. How should I apply for TRV's for my family. When they are in India itself or after going to canada.
Is it possible to come and change visitor visa status to TRV in canada and then apply for OWP.
Suppose if i cannot change their status from visitor to TRV's then can i postpone my semester to next meanwhile they can get TRV's.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone,
Thanks 1 & all for your responses.. How should I apply for TRV's for my family. When they are in India itself or after going to canada.
Is it possible to come and change visitor visa status to TRV in canada and then apply for OWP.
Suppose if i cannot change their status from visitor to TRV's then can i postpone my semester to next meanwhile they can get TRV's.
TRV = visitor visa.

You said in your first post that they already have TRVs. Which is it?

Simra Fatima

Oct 18, 2019
Yes they have their TRV. Sir but I hope this will work well enough for us ( I mean he leaving on visit visa along with kids and later on changing their status from TRV to dependents). When I was filling my visa application I said no one will accompany me to canada now at immigration when i land or at time when they want to change their status will visa officer not question why my huband will apply now when u said you will come along to study.
So they do have valid TRVs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long are the TRVs valid? We have seen some visa officers asking families to apply for student permits and not just TRVs. I would send a Webform doublechecking that the TRVs will be sufficient for your children to study in Canada. I would also have you husband apply right now for a SOWP so he can get the process started as soon as possible.

Simra Fatima

Oct 18, 2019
How long are the TRVs valid? We have seen some visa officers asking families to apply for student permits and not just TRVs. I would send a Webform doublechecking that the TRVs will be sufficient for your children to study in Canada. I would also have you husband apply right now for a SOWP so he can get the process started as soon as possible.
Hi Canuck78, Thanks for reply, and Sorry as well for delayed response.
Visit visa is valid for 2022,
Kindly let me know suppose if husband goes in canada on visit visa and changes his mind to apply for workpermit then does he and kids has to go in for medicals at that time in canada locally.