+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Workplace saying they need evidence we applied for permanent residency

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
Hi. So sorry if it's been posted before but I'm very stressed right now. I'm Canadian (Quebecer) My partner ( British and on work visa) sent his paper work for permanent residency in April. Due to the corona virus, it's been received but not yet open by a government official . Now his work place tells him that they need proof that they did received it ( which we can not provide) and that he will be fired if he does not provide it.

Is that legal? Does he not have a implied status ? Did they not extend all visas to December 2020 ?

We are going to have a baby in less than 2 months and I can't deal with the fact he might lose his job in a month.

Thank in advance

gchan

Star Member
Nov 22, 2018
Then you should have implied status. Did you keep a photocopy of the application and send by registered mail?

You can show the employer the linked page below and show them a photocopy of your application and proof of delivery, as well as print out the processing time estimate from the IRCC webpage so they know that you are still within processing guidelines (it’s updated now)

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=189&top=17

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Yes I kept all that. Thank you very much , I will tell him to send all this to them .
Also Include PR and OWP receipts.

if the PA sent a webform to CIC and they responded the generic email that they are still processing applications from feb, you can attach this, as proof that CIC hasn’t started working on applications sent in April.

Just to note however: they have not extended everyone’s status to December. They have simply extended the time to apply for restoration to December, this means a person who is out of status from end of January can apply to restore status even if its past 90 days

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
Also Include PR and OWP receipts.

if the PA sent a webform to CIC and they responded the generic email that they are still processing applications from feb, you can attach this, as proof that CIC hasn’t started working on applications sent in April.

Just to note however: they have not extended everyone’s status to December. They have simply extended the time to apply for restoration to December, this means a person who is out of status from end of January can apply to restore status even if its past 90 days
Hello, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I'm not well versed in the legal lingo of this whole process ? What is PR and OWP ?

Claudya90

Jan 10, 2018
PR = Permanent Resident ( which you applied for )

OWP= Open Work Permit ( which you also applied for )
Thank you ! Learning stuff everyday. Yes he got both of that.

I'm looking for a lawyer just in case.

Thank you again and Ill do an update when we have a final answer. On top of this, I need to check if he will be able to access his parental/paternity leave with an expired NAS.