+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working with Employment Agency under the CEC

kmaragh

Oct 4, 2017
Hi,Can someone please provide insight on this please. I am a recent Grad and working towards my one year experience to appy for PR under the CEC. Can i work on contract with an agency? Does that time count? Do i have to have a permanent job with a company?

Reactions: Tomi2

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,Can someone please provide insight on this please. I am a recent Grad and working towards my one year experience to appy for PR under the CEC. Can i work on contract with an agency? Does that time count? Do i have to have a permanent job with a company?
No, "permanent" employment is not required.

Working through an agency is accepted. However, you will need a letter of reference from both your employer (the agency) and the client company (where the work is actually performed).

That is because the agency can provide some information (e..g dates of employment, remuneration) and the client some information (location, hours worked per week, job duties/responsibilities), but neither can usually provide all the required information. And even if the Agency did write the job duties/responsibilities in the letter, they did not directly witness you performing the work, so it is second-hand; the letter from the client company is better because it is first-hand.

See the "proof of employment" section here -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
When I fill in the information under work experience. They asked what is my employer name, do I put the job agency name?

For example:

Company Name: Robert Half Canada (Job Agency) or just Robert Half Canada?

How do I include the client company name inside the application?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
When I fill in the information under work experience. They asked what is my employer name, do I put the job agency name?

For example:

Company Name: Robert Half Canada (Job Agency) or just Robert Half Canada?
Robert Half Canada

How do I include the client company name inside the application?
You don't.

Island_vibes

Oct 22, 2018
@kmaragh , I hope you see this and can help me out, was ur PR application successful? What did u do for the reference letter? I'm also working on a contract . My agency has given me a letter. Also I can get a letter from the clients manager who supervised me. Please advise

Mohitkason

Jul 23, 2019
Hey Jes,

I am currently working with an agency and they are willing to provide me everything I need. It’s been 7 months and 5 more months are left, do I need experience letter from both the parties , explaining my duties and hours ??

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hey Jes,

I am currently working with an agency and they are willing to provide me everything I need. It’s been 7 months and 5 more months are left, do I need experience letter from both the parties , explaining my duties and hours ??
Yes, it is better to get a 2nd letter from the client, because the agency does not directly supervise you.

shallyj

Nov 29, 2019
Yes, it is better to get a 2nd letter from the client, because the agency does not directly supervise you.
Hi Jes,

This is the same situation i am in, what happens when the client wont issue the letter.

Can my agency's client(manager) just have a written letter saying he acknowledges that i did all the duties the agency lists and his contact information, explaining why he cant issue an official letter saying my agency is my official employer?

Please

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Jes,

This is the same situation i am in, what happens when the client wont issue the letter.

Can my agency's client(manager) just have a written letter saying he acknowledges that i did all the duties the agency lists and his contact information, explaining why he cant issue an official letter saying my agency is my official employer?
Sorry, I don´t understand the question. First you say that the client won´t issue the letter, then you say the manager will. Which is it?

shallyj

Nov 29, 2019
Sorry, I don´t understand the question. First you say that the client won´t issue the letter, then you say the manager will. Which is it?
Hi Jes, sorry for the confusion.

So, I work for an agency and the agency client's (a truck company) is refusing to issue a letter stating my duties saying they are not my employer, what do i do?

Also, the manager i currently work under at the truck company might issue a letter explaining why he cant give an official letter as i am not their employee, will this be helpful for the cec application please?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Jes, sorry for the confusion.

So, I work for an agency and the agency client's (a truck company) is refusing to issue a letter stating my duties saying they are not my employer, what do i do?

That is correct, they are not your employer, and they should not say they are. But there is no reason why they cannot issue a letter stating the correct relationship, and the duties you perform under contract with the Agency.

Also, the manager i currently work under at the truck company might issue a letter explaining why he cant give an official letter as i am not their employee, will this be helpful for the cec application please?
I don´t understand the distinction you are making between "the company" and the manager at the company. They are the same. In fact, IRCC prefers a letter from your direct manager over a generic HR letter. If you cannot get an official letter, an unofficial one is better than no letter at all, but it should still say something about the job duties / responsibilities you perform (or if that specific language bothers them, the tasks you perform).

shallyj

Nov 29, 2019
Jes, Thank you so much for your help.

Please a quick one: must the letter issued by the manager have the same duties/responsibilities word for word as the agency's ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Jes, Thank you so much for your help.

Please a quick one: must the letter issued by the manager have the same duties/responsibilities word for word as the agency's ?
It would be kind of odd if it did : ) The important point is that they are consistent with the duties of the skilled NOC you are claiming.

shallyj

Nov 29, 2019
Hi Guys please i need your help.
So i got a contract job with an employment agency from jan 11 2019 to jan 17th 2020, the agency's client decided to hire me full on last week monday and i got my ITA on thursday the 23rd for the contract full time job. However, going to continue the application now, there's a part that asks if i have a job offer? Note: before i got the ITA, I had filled out NO to the job offer section because i was on contract with no ending date.

My question now is:
1. Is it necessary to mention i got a job offer considering it is the same company i am working with (not the agency but the client's company i mean)
2. I am still in the same role, nothing has changed except my pay is processed by client company and not agency anymore
3. Should i still claim agency as my employer or the client as of this moment, considering i was just offered the job on the 20th and got the ITA on the 23rd and i am claiming points for the one year that is jan 11 2019-jan 11 2020?

Please help me out.