+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working while waiting for permanent residency and OWP

goddrick

Oct 28, 2015
hi all, I need your trusted knowledge.
I have applied for permanence residency last August 2014. The estimated processing time are 17 months. I did applied inland before the new express entry program for my PR.
At that time, my closed work permit was expiring September 30, 2015. In august 2015, immigration contacted me to get a FBI police check, which i have requested right away but knowing that i would never be able to received my PR by september 2015.
I did right away apply inland from Canada for an OWP quoting that I applied for PR and giving them my application number as i was eligible for PR (received my acknowledgement letter) so i can continue working in my company. Well, this OWP also take time (4 months) so I don’t have it yet and i am wondering if i can still work in my company waiting for a decision on OWP and/or PR which ever comes first?
I believe i should have implied status to work since i have applied for OWP and no decision has been made but i am not 100% sure. Can you guys confirm?
Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
goddrick said:
hi all, I need your trusted knowledge.
I have applied for permanence residency last August 2014. The estimated processing time are 17 months. I did applied inland before the new express entry program for my PR.
At that time, my closed work permit was expiring September 30, 2015. In august 2015, immigration contacted me to get a FBI police check, which i have requested right away but knowing that i would never be able to received my PR by september 2015.
I did right away apply inland from Canada for an OWP quoting that I applied for PR and giving them my application number as i was eligible for PR (received my acknowledgement letter) so i can continue working in my company. Well, this OWP also take time (4 months) so I don’t have it yet and i am wondering if i can still work in my company waiting for a decision on OWP and/or PR which ever comes first?
I believe i should have implied status to work since i have applied for OWP and no decision has been made but i am not 100% sure. Can you guys confirm?
Thanks.
If you were on a closed work permit AND it had not expired on the date that CIC received your application for the OWP AND you have not left Canada at any time since, you should be covered by "implied status" under the same conditions as the closed work permit.

goddrick

Oct 28, 2015
zardoz said:
If you were on a closed work permit AND it had not expired on the date that CIC received your application for the OWP AND you have not left Canada at any time since, you should be covered by "implied status" under the same conditions as the closed work permit.
Zardoz, with your experience, do you think CIC would most likely extended my closed work permit or give me an OWP to bridge the time before i receive my PR? I am trying to see if I will need to stay with my current employer or if I will have the opportunity to work for anybody.

Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
goddrick said:
Zardoz, with your experience, do you think CIC would most likely extended my closed work permit or give me an OWP to bridge the time before i receive my PR? I am trying to see if I will need to stay with my current employer or if I will have the opportunity to work for anybody.

Thanks.
I don't believe that the closed work permit will be extended because you will either get the OWP or a refusal, both of which terminate "implied status". Until that decision is made, you can only work under the same conditions as your existing closed work permit.