+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working while studying.

Diegomoraes

Jun 7, 2015
Hello everyone!!

I am about to create my profile at EE, since next week I will be doing the IELTS test. However I have a doubt that is killing me, since I don't find any more details about the matter!

So, I worked 2 years and 2 months as part time CAD/CAM programmer (25 hrs/week) in Brazil. The problem is, I started the university in 08/2008 and I got the job in 08/2010, then I left in 10/2012 to go study in Canada. I've done all my experience for skilled worker while studying at university.
I read something that CIC does not consider experience skilled work when you are full time student. But, how can they prove I was full time student? In my university they don't use the credit system and they don't have the concept of part/full time students. All I have are the number of courses I took per semester and the course hours of each one. The maximum course load that I took in a semester was 32 hours per week.

The question is, what is full time and part time student in this context? Am I still eligible? :eek:

Thanks a lot guys!

Ustaad

Star Member
Jul 14, 2015
Diegomoraes said:
Hello everyone!!

I am about to create my profile at EE, since next week I will be doing the IELTS test. However I have a doubt that is killing me, since I don't find any more details about the matter!

So, I worked 2 years and 2 months as part time CAD/CAM programmer (25 hrs/week) in Brazil. The problem is, I started the university in 08/2008 and I got the job in 08/2010, then I left in 10/2012 to go study in Canada. I've done all my experience for skilled worker while studying at university.
I read something that CIC does not consider experience skilled work when you are full time student. But, how can they prove I was full time student? In my university they don't use the credit system and they don't have the concept of part/full time students. All I have are the number of courses I took per semester and the course hours of each one. The maximum course load that I took in a semester was 32 hours per week.

The question is, what is full time and part time student in this context? Am I still eligible? :eek:

Thanks a lot guys!
CIC won't accept this experience. Almost every University in Canada offers courses based studies and a student with 3 courses or more is called a full time student. Hope this helps!

mmemme24

Mar 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Diegomoraes said:
Hello everyone!!

Thanks a lot guys!
Hello,

I have the exact same situation. Started my undergrad in Sept 2008 and after two years got a part-time job (18 hrs/week) related to my major.
I worked more than two years for that company and when I finished undergrad level, went to US for Master's.
According to my immigration counselor, this type of work is not accepted for CEC, but it is OK for FSW. She said any job while you are student is fine as long as it is not a part of your education (like internship, apprenticeship etc).

My file is currently "in process", so I don't know if they accept my job experience or not.

heeru_maan

May 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
The immigration consultant is right. As long as you are not applying as CEC and the work experience was not obtained while studying full time in Canada, the experience gained is eligible.

neverletmego

Oct 31, 2015
I did full time study (m tech in india) and full time employment ( as software engineer ) in an Indian MNC in the same period. Does CIC consider both of them? I am yet to do my wes.

ELlouise

Sep 10, 2015
Hi guys,

I have a follow up question here. I have my ITA for CEC.
I have the same issues as mentioned above. Initially I came to Canada as a foreign worker and worked as FCA at Tim Hortons. After my 2 years contract, I applied for study visa and was promoted as a supervisor from July 2016 - July 2017, and I switched to a cook position to a restaurant from July 2017 to present. I graduated in Decmeber 2018 and waiting my PGWP this time. I created my EE profile last March 5, 2019 and got invited next day.

However, my last position as a cook asked me if i am studying full time while doing this job. I answered no. Is this gonna be an issue? The reason I answered this is because I am no longer in school but I have this job since I was a full time student.

Also, I know the fact that I am not eligible for CEC, but I was invited for this stream. However, I have a 5 years accumulated experience in the restaurant as a manager, so I am thinking I am eligible for FSW category for EE.

Can anyone help me with this?