+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely.

StLeo2004

Apr 5, 2015
I am going to be marrying a Canadian and will be moving up there. I work in the US but the job I have I can do anywhere since it is computer based. So in other words, I don't have to travel back and forth everyday for work. I will have to go back to US every few months for meetings and such. I just want to know if I should not keep it, or just do trips to visit soon to be husband while the paperwork is going through.

I have know my fiancee for over 5 years and been together for a year and a half. He is going to have a spouse visa, but I just don't want to get into trouble with my job that I can do remotely.

Thank you so much for any answers that I may get.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Note that you can't actually "move to" or "live in" Canada until you have permanent residency. For now all you can do is visit. Make sure you don't arrive at the border looking like you're moving or you could have issues entering Canada.

Working remotely for a US company while in Canada will be fine provided your company has no Canadian clients / does no business in Canada.

StLeo2004

Apr 5, 2015
I will be doing the visiting thing till my PR is finalized. I work for a university in Florida that doesn't have any offices in Canada. Thank you for the information.

Natasha011988

Feb 6, 2018
Note that you can't actually "move to" or "live in" Canada until you have permanent residency. For now all you can do is visit. Make sure you don't arrive at the border looking like you're moving or you could have issues entering Canada.

Working remotely for a US company while in Canada will be fine provided your company has no Canadian clients / does no business in Canada.
Hi Scylla - I work for Infosys India for a US based company and will be moving to Canada in a few months. Does this mean that I need to be employed by Infosys Canada to work from there or can I still be a part of Infosys India?

R

rish888

Under what immigration category are you moving to Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As a PR you can work for whom ever you want and once you become a tax resident you will pay taxes in Canada even if your employer is still in India so keep that in mind given exchange rate fluctuations wherever your salary is paid.

Reactions: Natasha011988

Natasha011988

Feb 6, 2018
As a PR you can work for whom ever you want and once you become a tax resident you will pay taxes in Canada even if your employer is still in India so keep that in mind given exchange rate fluctuations wherever your salary is paid.
Thank you Bs65. Appreciate your response on this.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi Rish888, I received my approval for Canada PR a couple of months ago.
You can be employed by any company in any location or office in the world. As long as you report your earnings to the CRA, Canada won't care where your employer is located.

Reactions: Natasha011988

Natasha011988

Feb 6, 2018
You can be employed by any company in any location or office in the world. As long as you report your earnings to the CRA, Canada won't care where your employer is located.
Thank you Rob_TO. My main concern was that I am currently employed by Infosys India to work in US on an H1B and I read a lot of conversations that you can continue working till the employer does not have clients in Canada but Infosys does have clients in Canada. So wanted to know if there is any requirement that I need to be a part of Infosys Canada and not India.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Thank you Rob_TO. My main concern was that I am currently employed by Infosys India to work in US on an H1B and I read a lot of conversations that you can continue working till the employer does not have clients in Canada but Infosys does have clients in Canada. So wanted to know if there is any requirement that I need to be a part of Infosys Canada and not India.
This should be a question for your employer. Ask your employer.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If you'll be a PR, whether the company has Canadian clients or not is completely irrelevant.