+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely from Canada while application for PR is in process

jabber13

Feb 13, 2015
Hello all,

My wife is Canadian and I'm a US citizen. We currently reside in the US with our 2 year old who was born in the US but also holds a Canadian passport. I work remotely for a company based in California.

My wife was offered a job in BC and we would like to move to BC in the next 60 days.

After reading through virtually every online resource it's been hard to ascertain whether or not it would be possible for me to continue working remotely within Canada, assuming that we file our application for PR in the coming weeks.

Also, what protocol should we be following to make this work on such a tight timeline? (timing of filing applications vs. entering Canada)

If anyone can help to better understand these issues it would be greatly appreciated.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello all,

My wife is Canadian and I'm a US citizen. We currently reside in the US with our 2 year old who was born in the US but also holds a Canadian passport. I work remotely for a company based in California.

My wife was offered a job in BC and we would like to move to BC in the next 60 days.

After reading through virtually every online resource it's been hard to ascertain whether or not it would be possible for me to continue working remotely within Canada, assuming that we file our application for PR in the coming weeks.

Also, what protocol should we be following to make this work on such a tight timeline? (timing of filing applications vs. entering Canada)

If anyone can help to better understand these issues it would be greatly appreciated.
It's fine to work remotely as long as employer is outside Canada, payments come from outside Canada, and you have no clients in Canada. Just remember to also file Canadian tax return since you would be considered a resident for tax purposes if you're here long enough even as a visitor.

You can file an outland application while in the US at any time, or wait until you're in Canada to apply. It will have no bearing on when you enter Canada as a vistior.

Reactions: KBH

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

Hi

Your wife and child can move to Canada. You can't, as you do not yet have the right to live here. You would be entering as a visitor. If you guys are planning to bring all of your stuff, your wife should enter separately with everything declared in her name. If you show up with lots of stuff, you risk being refused entry.

I suggest you apply for sponsorship outland. You can come to Canada as a visitor while the app processes and continue to work remotely.

jabber13

Feb 13, 2015
Thanks to both of you for replying.

Canuck, I'm curious about your suggestion. If I apply outland, what would the scenario that you're describing look like in your eyes?

Would my wife and child enter Canada separate from me and then I would attempt to enter Canada as a visitor? How can I enter as a visitor without being untruthful about my family's situation and our intention to live in Canada for the foreseeable future?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks to both of you for replying.

Canuck, I'm curious about your suggestion. If I apply outland, what would the scenario that you're describing look like in your eyes?

Would my wife and child enter Canada separate from me and then I would attempt to enter Canada as a visitor? How can I enter as a visitor without being untruthful about my family's situation and our intention to live in Canada for the foreseeable future?
You are truthful in that if the PR app were refused, you would respect the visitor conditions of your stay and leave. CBSA knows that there is little chance of your app being refused and that you probably won't have to leave, so they are very lenient in granting entry in this situation. Have proof of the PR app and proof of funds.

It is a very common situation. My partner and I came to Canada halfway though our sponsorship app.

Reactions: YVR123