+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely for a UK company

Bellum

Mar 11, 2016
Hi all,

I'm looking at moving to Canada, but hitting a bit of a brick wall, as none of the immigration options seem to apply to me.

I met my girlfriend in the UK (I'm British), and want to go to Canada with her when her visa expires, but I'd also like to continue to work for the same company (which has its headquarters in the UK and offices in the U.S., but no Canadian presence.)

I'm a journalist that writes about North America (I write for the United Airlines and American Airlines magazines), and the company has said that they would be very happy for me to work remotely in Canada. However, every option for entry seems to revolve around me working for a Canadian company on arrival.

Has anyone been through a similar experience, or know what options are available to me? Even if somebody could point me in the direction of a person/organization to speak to, that would be appreciated.

Further info: I'm 26; happy if I'm only able to move on a temporary basis at first; healthy and no criminal past.

Appreciate any advice!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
How long have you and your girl been together? Have you achieved common law status? (12 months of continuous cohabitation together) Is she of a mind to sponsor you for PR to live in Canada?

If you haven't lived together long enough to be common law, or she is not willing to sponsor you, then you can come to Canada as a visitor. It would allow you remain here for 6 months as a visitor. You would not be able to work, for a Canadian company. However, if your current employer has NO Canadian clients, you would still be able to legally do your job, even as only a visitor.

If your girl is willing and able to sponsor you for PR, then the same rules apply as stated for being a visitor. You two could begin the process from the UK before you even leave. Only would need to prove intention to move to Canada once you are awarded your PR. You could already be here ahead of time.

Bellum

Mar 11, 2016
Thanks for replying!

We're not yet at current law status. We've been together for about 18 months, but only been living together for a couple of months, because work kept us in separate towns for most of the first year.

I was thinking that if I came as a visitor at first, I may be able to combine that with what we're doing here to achieve that status. She'd be willing to sponsor me, but as I see it, we need to show further interdependence first.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bellum said:
Thanks for replying!

We're not yet at current law status. We've been together for about 18 months, but only been living together for a couple of months, because work kept us in separate towns for most of the first year.

I was thinking that if I came as a visitor at first, I may be able to combine that with what we're doing here to achieve that status. She'd be willing to sponsor me, but as I see it, we need to show further interdependence first.
The 12 months cohabitation in qualifying for common-law can be over several countries, as long as it's continuous. So make sure you accompany her back to Canada. If she were to say return to Canada and you joined her several months later, that would break the cohabitation and you'd be starting from day 1 when you lived together again to reach 12 months.

I would come to Canada as a visitor. Most likely you will get 6 months status upon entry, and once in Canada you can apply to extend that status as it expires.

The general rule is that as long as you're working for a company outside Canada, don't have Canadian clients, and are being paid from a source outside Canada... you can work remotely in Canada on visitor status. So do this for as long as you need, and once you reach 12 months cohabitation have your partner sponsor you for PR as common-law partner. Just make sure to keep lots of proof (including while in the UK) that you are living together.