+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Remote and Travel

USvisaCanPR

Dec 3, 2020
To maintain my residency obligations, I moved to Windsor few months ago. I am still working remote on h1b for my US employer. I have h1b stamping till July 2022.

I would like to go back and visit family/friends for holidays.

1) Will it be better to fly from Toronto to Texas and if so what kind of questions I should be prepared to answer on the US side? I exchanged my US driving license to Ontario License, so if the officer asks for my address in US can I just tell him my friends address?

2) Or should I drive to Detroit and take a flight from there to Texas? ( I imported my car permanently into Canada and have Ontario plates)

3) How long I can work remotely here in Canada for the US employer? I have not been able to find a concrete answer. Can it be 6 months, a year etc.

4 ) I know I would be filing taxes both on US and Canada side. Will the employer be penalized as well? Or as an employee I am just filing both taxes

Please advise.

Reactions: Cananm

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To maintain my residency obligations, I moved to Windsor few months ago. I am still working remote on h1b for my US employer. I have h1b stamping till July 2022.

1) Will it be better to fly from Toronto to Texas and if so what kind of questions I should be prepared to answer on the US side? I exchanged my US driving license to Ontario License, so if the officer asks for my address in US can I just tell him my friends address?

2) Or should I drive to Detroit and take a flight from there to Texas? ( I imported my car permanently into Canada and have Ontario plates)

3) How long I can work remotely here in Canada for the US employer? I have not been able to find a concrete answer. Can it be 6 months, a year etc.

4 ) I know I would be filing taxes both on US and Canada side. Will the employer be penalized as well? Or as an employee I am just filing both taxes

Please advise.
As I'm sure you realize those in Canada are being told not to gather with friends and family during Christmas. If you still plan on going to Texas flying via Detroit will minimize any exposures you have to others in Canada. You'll be able to get into your car in Detroit and drive directly to your home to quarantine for 14 days. Assume flights are also cheaper via Detroit.

Cananm

Mar 7, 2019

Please advise.
Hi,
I am in similar situation as of you, can you please share your experience.
Moved with family to Windsor in May 2022, as I was fast exhausting the 5 years PR period and didnt wanted to loose on this opportunity.
My GC filing is in process, but at very early stage. Employer also have office in Canada!

My current job is based out out of Texas and I have my cousin staying there, whose address is mentioned for H1 purpose!

1)How are you maintaining the US residency obligation, while working remotely in Canada.
And have you still kept your H1B to the Tx address or amended it to Michigan or any other border state!

2)Also, your H1B extension experience, how did it went!
I have mine coming next month September 2022 and I am curious as well!

3)Are there any implication of exchanging your US DL with Canadian DL!

TIA, any info will be helpful!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Moved with family to Windsor in May 2022, as I was fast exhausting the 5 years PR period and didnt wanted to loose on this opportunity.
My GC filing is in process, but at very early stage. Employer also have office in Canada!

My current job is based out out of Texas and I have my cousin staying there, whose address is mentioned for H1 purpose!

1)How are you maintaining the US residency obligation, while working remotely in Canada.
And have you still kept your H1B to the Tx address or amended it to Michigan or any other border state!

Are you working remotely or crossing the border to work out of a US address daily?

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020
Hi,

@Cananm Did u figure out all this? Can u share your experience pls. I have my job in the US which is completely remote. Wanted to see if u are crossing the border and how's the experience in terms of questions at the border. Do u travel frequently. I am also in Windsor currently

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020

Please advise.
@USvisaCanPR Did u figure out all this? Can u share your experience pls. I have my job in the US which is completely remote. Wanted to see of u are crossing the border and how's the experience in terms of questions at the border. Do u travel frequently. I am also in Windsor currently