+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working permit; information/advice please.

Saiohn

Mar 24, 2014
Hey guys, so I've made a post on here before but not in this section, I asked for advice and got some good feedback.

Anyway, I figured I have a few optiopns to help me get PR, I've been looking into the live-in Caregiver options and I've also applied to study welding. However, as this is something that wont happen relatively soon for me I was wondering if someone could give me a rundown on exactly what is required for me to work in Canada and stay for up to 6 months or so. I'm from Scotland, UK so I don't think I need a Visa right? so is there a way to directly apply for a work permit? I seem to get referred to the IEC program (which I thought was best to avoid as you are only entitled to 2 years maximum?). Does it only apply for people in skilled work? Can it be extended?

Thanking you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - you certainly need a visa. Being from the UK entitles you to visit Canada without a visa. It does not entitle you to work here or live here.

The IEC is a good idea if you fit the requirements since it means you are granted an open work permit. IECs can't be extended. But in some cases you can apply for a second IEC.

Otherwise in order to apply for a work permit in Canada, you must first secure a full time job offer from an employer here. That employer must then obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion (LMO) to prove there is a requirement to hire a foreign worker for the role. As part of this process, the employer must first advertise the job for a minimum of one month to prove no suitable Canadian candidates could be found. Once the advertising requirement has been met, the employer can sumbit the LMO application for processing. Processing can take anywhere from 6-20 weeks. If / when the LMO is approved, you can then apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer - or obtain the closed work permit as you enter Canada.