+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working outside of Canada

archerx

Sep 13, 2011
Hi guys

As you already know that it is not possible to be a sponsor to your wife if you have receive financial assistance and I have to proof that you are financially stable to be a sponsor.

My question is related to work outside of Canada. if I work outside Canada, is it fine to be eligible to be a sponsor

Thank you

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
If you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse while living or working outside of Canada. Typically, you will have to provide evidence that once your spouse is granted a PR visa, you will both be living in Canada.

If you are a Permanent Resident, you must be a resident of Canada to sponsor your spouse. If you are working outside of the country, it is possible in some situations to be a resident of Canada. Being a resident of Canada for taxation purposes will help establish that you are a resident of Canada.

Hope this helps.

archerx

Sep 13, 2011
Thank you BCKev

I am permanent resident and applied for citizenship. As far as I understand that I can still be a sponsor for my wife as permanent resident while working outside of Canada and have to declare some tax.

When I get my citizenship, what kind of evidence could be helpful that we are gonna live in Canada

Thank you again for your kindness

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
Keep in mind that this is based on residency, not where you work. So the issue really is whether or not you will be able to demonstrate that you are a Canadian resident. How much time are you out of the country? Do you spend the majority of your time in Canada? Do you maintain a house or apartment in Canada? I don't know what the precise requirements would be to demonstrate residency in a case like this.

archerx

Sep 13, 2011
Thank you BCKev

I am planning to work outside Canada like 1 year and during that time, I would like to wait for the sponsorship process of my wife.

As I said that before, I am permanent residence currently but applied for the citizenship.

Regarding that I have two alternatives. One is to apply for sponsorship as a permanent residence and other one is to apply for sponsorship as a citizen of Canada

I really appreciate your recommendation for my case.

Thank you

draxz1289

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October/28/2014
AOR Received.
Feb/04/2015, IP Since Feb/04/2015
File Transfer...
Jan/19/2015
Med's Request
Re-Medicals - Sept/23/2015
Med's Done....
Sept/04/2014
Passport Req..
Jan/18/2016
VISA ISSUED...
Oct/09/2015
LANDED..........
Feb/05/2016
archerx said:
Thank you BCKev

I am planning to work outside Canada like 1 year and during that time, I would like to wait for the sponsorship process of my wife.

As I said that before, I am permanent residence currently but applied for the citizenship.

Regarding that I have two alternatives. One is to apply for sponsorship as a permanent residence and other one is to apply for sponsorship as a citizen of Canada

I really appreciate your recommendation for my case.

Thank you
Hello,

As already concluded, as a PR you have to be in the country to apply and remain in the country while the PR is in progress. You are able to take short holidays usually 2-3 weeks and anything over generally will raise a flag.

"As far as I understand that I can still be a sponsor for my wife as permanent resident while working outside of Canada and have to declare some tax." Are you sure about this and I am curious and want to read on this so please let me know

You can either wait till you get your citizenship then apply from outside of Canada and showing you both will return to Canada once your spouse get the PR or you can apply now while you are PR.

As for docs to show that you will be coming back is usually property, courses you take, restarting employment etc.

Hope that helps

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
archerx said:
Hi guys

As you already know that it is not possible to be a sponsor to your wife if you have receive financial assistance and I have to proof that you are financially stable to be a sponsor.

My question is related to work outside of Canada. if I work outside Canada, is it fine to be eligible to be a sponsor

Thank you
If you continue to sponsor your wife while you are still only a PR of Canada then no, you can not work/live outside of Canada. Being a resident for taxation and such is not what is important here. Being a resident as in actually living and residing in Canada is what is important here when considering a spousal sponsorship for a PR.

Now, if you wait until you have been granted your Citizenship (including having your passport and such) you can then safely leave Canada to work and/or live in another county and sponsor your spouse. You will however be required to show your intent of moving back to and residing in Canada once your spouse is granted her PR Visa. If you fail to prove that you intend to move to Canada then her visa will be denied.

Good luck.