+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORKING OUTSIDE CANADA

ALYSHARKAWY

Jun 22, 2012
Dear,
I have a PR card issued from Toronto, and I'm planning to settle in Canada by July. I have a job offer from a Canadian company in Halifax. The company is willing to hire me locally in Halifax but due to their business requirements I have to travel outside Canada for long periods- 3 to 6 months - My questions are as following:

1- Can I work in Halifax if my PR Card is issued from Toronto?
2- Can I travel outside Canada due to the Halifax company's business requirements and this travel period doesn't affect the minimum 730 days staying inside Canada to be able to renew my PR. or apply for citizenship?
3- If yes what's the maximum number of days / months which I can stay outside Canada without affecting my immigration process.
4- How long does the process of hiring and getting registered for taxation last?

Thank you and best regards,

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
ALYSHARKAWY said:
Dear,
I have a PR card issued from Toronto, and I'm planning to settle in Canada by July. I have a job offer from a Canadian company in Halifax. The company is willing to hire me locally in Halifax but due to their business requirements I have to travel outside Canada for long periods- 3 to 6 months - My questions are as following:

1- Can I work in Halifax if my PR Card is issued from Toronto?
2- Can I travel outside Canada due to the Halifax company's business requirements and this travel period doesn't affect the minimum 730 days staying inside Canada to be able to renew my PR. or apply for citizenship?
3- If yes what's the maximum number of days / months which I can stay outside Canada without affecting my immigration process.
4- How long does the process of hiring and getting registered for taxation last?

Thank you and best regards,
Hi,

First of all accept my heartiest congrats for your job.

1)Yes you can work anywhere in Canada as long you are a PR , no matter from where your PR card has been issued, you are free to work in all over Canada.

2)Yes you can easily move inside and outside Canada as long as you fulfill your 730 days requirement out of 5 years .But for citizenship purposes you need to be present in Canada for 1095 days atleast out of last 4 years before applying for citizenship.

3) Same as above ,you MUST be present atleast for 730 days out of 5 years period of your PR card expiry ,in order to apply for renewal of your PR card .

4)Hiring process depends upon specific company and you need to file your yearly taxes ,every year before 30th April.

Hope it helps

ALYSHARKAWY

Jun 22, 2012
Dear,
I really appreciate your reply, I want to clarify more regarding the 730 days, I'm just starting my 730 days and due to this job offer i won"t be able to fulfill the 730 days inside Canada. I heard that even the days i spend outside Canada will be considered from those 730 days as long i'm employed and registered in Canada for taxes and I pay all my taxes and my salary is paid from Canada.. is it true?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ALYSHARKAWY said:
Dear,
I really appreciate your reply, I want to clarify more regarding the 730 days, I'm just starting my 730 days and due to this job offer i won"t be able to fulfill the 730 days inside Canada. I heard that even the days i spend outside Canada will be considered from those 730 days as long i'm employed and registered in Canada for taxes and I pay all my taxes and my salary is paid from Canada.. is it true?
The 730 days do not have to be consecutive. You may accumulate 730 days with many short stays over the 5 years. There is a clause about days spent working for a Canadian employer but if you look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA which is the instruction guide to apply for a new PR card, it mentions that you need to be assigned to an overseas position on a full time basis so it is possible that if you are stationed in Canada but making a lot of business trips, your days will not count. However, if you spread the 730 days over 5 years, you only have to stay in Canada on average about 5 months a year to keep your PR.

newcomer

Dec 3, 2007
Middle East
ALYSHARKAWY said:
Dear,
Hi,

Leon is one of the most senior and knowledgeable member of this forum.I think the information provided by him is 100% authentic and perfect so just follow his advice.