Working more than 20 hours

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hmm quite interesting, can you show me where such law is? If you’re a student and fail in a course, you can’t work whiles you are talking the course again even if your student visa is valid!
You can look up the law regarding working as a student yourself, pretty easy to find.

lilly93.

May 18, 2021
Hey! I'm really panicking now and i DON'T know what to do!
basically, i have made clear to my manager that i can only work 20 hours per week and he has also a proof sent to the Human resource that i can only work 20 hours per week.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT today I had a gut feeling to check my scheduled hours for jan, feb and march and some weeks I had 20.45 per week 20.31 and i HAVE ONE PARTICULAR WEEK THAT I WORKED 22 HOURS !!! I didn't pay attention to it as obviously i trusted the company i worked it and 2 hours won't feel much of a difference !

now what should I do? am i in trouble? is this gonna affect my pgwp and pr application? im seriously panicking it has been more than five hours talking to lawyer and hoping to find some answers! what shall i do to correct this? i really want to report the company tbh as I have an employement letter and an email stating clear i can't work more than 20 hours but ircc can obviously say it is your responsibiltiy and you should have checked.

maaayankkk

Star Member
May 17, 2018
basically, i have made clear to my manager that i can only work 20 hours per week and he has also a proof sent to the Human resource that i can only work 20 hours per week.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT today I had a gut feeling to check my scheduled hours for jan, feb and march and some weeks I had 20.45 per week 20.31 and i HAVE ONE PARTICULAR WEEK THAT I WORKED 22 HOURS !!! I didn't pay attention to it as obviously i trusted the company i worked it and 2 hours won't feel much of a difference !

now what should I do? am i in trouble? is this gonna affect my pgwp and pr application? im seriously panicking it has been more than five hours talking to lawyer and hoping to find some answers! what shall i do to correct this? i really want to report the company tbh as I have an employement letter and an email stating clear i can't work more than 20 hours but ircc can obviously say it is your responsibiltiy and you should have checked.
Are you working in essential service or function, such as health care, critical infrastructure, or the supply of food or other critical goods ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Report the company to who? It is not the company’s responsibility to track your hours. It is your responsibility even if they know. It is not that hard to keep track. You will probably be fine as it is very few hours.

Callumjee

Jun 6, 2019

Talk to your HR department and get them to retract those hours from your next pay, alongside a letter/email saying its an administration error. You can submit this with your application, or if IRCC ask for it, if that gives you peace of mind.

Reactions: maaayankkk

lilly93.

May 18, 2021
Report the company to who? It is not the company’s responsibility to track your hours. It is your responsibility even if they know. It is not that hard to keep track. You will probably be fine as it is very few hours.
well....what can i do now? will i get in trouble?

lilly93.

May 18, 2021
Talk to your HR department and get them to retract those hours from your next pay, alongside a letter/email saying its an administration error. You can submit this with your application, or if IRCC ask for it, if that gives you peace of mind.
I will definitely do that. Also for the week that i had 20.45/20.34 is that a problem too? should i speak about that?

lilly93.

May 18, 2021
According to this temporary measure announced by IRCC, international students can work more than 20 hours provided they are employed in an essential service.

SOURCE:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/04/removing-barriers-for-international-students-working-in-essential-services-to-fight-covid-19.html

However, you need to check the link below to confirm if your job is actually considered an essential service.

SOURCE:
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/ntnl-scrt/crtcl-nfrstrctr/esf-sfe-en.aspx

this has ended in august 2020! international student cna not work more than 20 hours for now.

maaayankkk

Star Member
May 17, 2018
What @Callumjee said makes sense. You should consider doing that.

Also, going forward please avoid working for more than 20 hours while you are studying and be firm about this with your company too.

lilly93.

May 18, 2021
What @Callumjee said makes sense. You should consider doing that.

Also, going forward please avoid working for more than 20 hours while you are studying and be firm about this with your company too.
shall i do that for also the weekly hours that state 20.43? i work remotely so sometimes you keep talking to a customer as she or he may call by the end of your shift and you are stuck there. thats why i have some weeks 20.54..

maaayankkk

Star Member
May 17, 2018
I believe yes, you should consider doing that because if I interpret IRCC guidelines correctly, it is mentioned that anything above and beyond 20 hours is a violation of your study permit conditions.