+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in India while attending online classes

blackflame96

Jul 25, 2021
Once we get our passports stamped for study permit, is there any date within which we need to enter Canada.
My university is allowing to attend one term online. So I am thinking to continue working untill the end of first term and then travel to Canada in November/December. Also, will working in India and attending classes online under a Canadian study permit cause any issues at the time of work permit/PR application later on.

PS: I am considering this because my visa is still under processing and the travel situation is very dicey and expensive right now.

Reactions: RAGHAVK

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You are working in India not Canada so not an issue. If classed are online then you can come into Canada in November/December.

blackflame96

Jul 25, 2021
My university of offering both online and in person classes for the course. And they are giving time until the end of September to switch incase we travel to Canada.

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
Once we get our passports stamped for study permit, is there any date within which we need to enter Canada.
My university is allowing to attend one term online. So I am thinking to continue working untill the end of first term and then travel to Canada in November/December. Also, will working in India and attending classes online under a Canadian study permit cause any issues at the time of work permit/PR application later on.

PS: I am considering this because my visa is still under processing and the travel situation is very dicey and expensive right now.
Hi, My case is similar to yours. I am currently working in India. I've decided to pursue fall2021 term online as the university permits it. I dont think that would be problem. We can keep the working information confidential right?

blackflame96

Jul 25, 2021
I don't think the University also is concerned about you working while attending online. My concern was that while applying for work permit or permanent residency the last date of working relieving letter of your organisation and the start date of your course will overlap. Will this be an issue?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I don't think the University also is concerned about you working while attending online. My concern was that while applying for work permit or permanent residency the last date of working relieving letter of your organisation and the start date of your course will overlap. Will this be an issue?
No

Akhil Singh18

Jul 8, 2021
Hi, My case is similar to yours. I am currently working in India. I've decided to pursue fall2021 term online as the university permits it. I dont think that would be problem. We can keep the working information confidential right?
I don't think you can work in India while you are taking classes. You may face problems when you would be applying for PWGP because as per labor laws you cannot work more than 20 hours per week as a full time student, which needs to be informed to the Canadian government.

Iveyapplicant

Mar 22, 2021
No it will not. Just completed two terms online from India, while continuing to work at my full-time job here. I called up IRCC to confirm this, and they said that there is no problem as I'm working with an Indian company in India, and my job is not connected to Canada in any way. As a matter of fact, they told me that I can continue my job in India online from Canada once I reach there (if I wish to), without it having any impact on my PGWP eligibility, or study permit requirements.

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
I don't think you can work in India while you are taking classes. You may face problems when you would be applying for PWGP because as per labor laws you cannot work more than 20 hours per week as a full time student, which needs to be informed to the Canadian government.
Yes that could be a problem.
In my case, since I started my current employment recently, I am not planning to show the current work experience.

Reactions: Akhil Singh18

RAGHAVK

Star Member
Nov 10, 2018
No it will not. Just completed two terms online from India, while continuing to work at my full-time job here. I called up IRCC to confirm this, and they said that there is no problem as I'm working with an Indian company in India, and my job is not connected to Canada in any way. As a matter of fact, they told me that I can continue my job in India online from Canada once I reach there (if I wish to), without it having any impact on my PGWP eligibility, or study permit requirements.
Thank you for letting us know

Reactions: Iveyapplicant

Akhil Singh18

Jul 8, 2021
Yes that could be a problem.
In my case, since I started my current employment recently, I am not planning to show the current work experience.
Yes, it makes sense then. In case anyone wants to show the current company work experience, as per my understanding there shouldn't be any overlap i.e your last working day and start of classes.

Iveyapplicant

Mar 22, 2021
Yes, it makes sense then. In case anyone wants to show the current company work experience, as per my understanding there shouldn't be any overlap i.e your last working day and start of classes.
I don't think this is true. I re-applied for my study permit this May, after having completed one semester of classes online while working full-time simultaneously. I was helped in my application by a Canadian immigration law firm, who told me to list my current employment, even though there was a four month overlap between my classes and work. I'd expect them to know Canadian law on this pretty well, and they assured me that there was no problem. My study permit recently got approved. The VO reviewing my file could obviously see that I am working and studying at the same time, and that caused no problem. Problems only arise if you're working for a Canadian company, or a company with branches in Canada, or business interests in Canada.

Akhil Singh18

Jul 8, 2021
I don't think this is true. I re-applied for my study permit this May, after having completed one semester of classes online while working full-time simultaneously. I was helped in my application by a Canadian immigration law firm, who told me to list my current employment, even though there was a four month overlap between my classes and work. I'd expect them to know Canadian law on this pretty well, and they assured me that there was no problem. My study permit recently got approved. The VO reviewing my file could obviously see that I am working and studying at the same time, and that caused no problem. Problems only arise if you're working for a Canadian company, or a company with branches in Canada, or business interests in Canada.
This is great. The only issue which I think might not be in the study permit but on the PGWP permit. As we do not get study permit based on the assumption that we would apply for PGWP later. I have to confirm this at my end. :)

Reactions: Iveyapplicant