+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canada, living in USA

mouellette

Jun 20, 2014
Hello all,

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've done my best to search the forum and I have not found anything that relates to my situation:

I am a Canadian citizen currently studying medicine in the USA. I live in a city that borders with Canada. My girlfriend of 5 years (whom I plan to be engaged to soon) currently holds an excellent job in the Canadian city; she is also an Canadian citizen.

I want to know what my options are with respect to her living with me and commuting to Canada for work. I realize that this question may be better suited for a USA immigration forum, but I thought I'd start here and see what you knowledgable folks know about the Canadian side of things.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would recommend that you ask this question on the following US immigration forum:

http://forums.immigration.com/

However I don't think what you're trying to do will be possible. Your girlfriend isn't allowed to live in the US without some sort of status. If she tries commuting back and forth each day as a visitor then I would plan that US immigration will force her to stop sooner or later. If she wants to give it a shot - she should get a Nexus card. However you'll need to have a very quickly implementable "plan B" in place for when she's refused entry / told she can't do this anymore.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
mouellette said:
Hello all,

I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've done my best to search the forum and I have not found anything that relates to my situation:

I am a Canadian citizen currently studying medicine in the USA. I live in a city that borders with Canada. My girlfriend of 5 years (whom I plan to be engaged to soon) currently holds an excellent job in the Canadian city; she is also an Canadian citizen.

I want to know what my options are with respect to her living with me and commuting to Canada for work. I realize that this question may be better suited for a USA immigration forum, but I thought I'd start here and see what you knowledgable folks know about the Canadian side of things.

I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply.
As pointed out by Scylla, US immigration will not allow her to do this for any length of time (My guess is more than a week). Her entries into the US will be documented and they are soon going to figure out she lives in the US without the proper authorization and this may cause her to be denied entry at best and some sort of bar from reentry for a period of time at worst.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
You might have to try the reverse...(you commuting being Canadian and having documentation to stay in the US)