+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Canada, applied for PR. Want my parents to immigrate, what are my options?

MonChoon

Sep 10, 2018
Hello,

My wife is currently living and working in Canada i a Temporary work visa I am a Canadian citizen and we have already submitted documents for her Permanent Residency. Assuming it will be about one year until that process is completed. We were wondering what our options are for bringing her parents to Canada. They are both about 45 years old and working. They are from Ukraine and have university degrees. Her mom speaks English quite well and can read and write,her father less so, although he is taking lessons I understand that we can sponsor them but not until my wife is a PR and then we may have to wait 3 years as well as I've been working in Europe for a few years and just came back to Canada in October and my wife has only just begun to work in Canada so we don't really have tax records for 3 years and wouldn't qualify for the LICO as I understand but correct me if I'm wrong.

We are both working in New Brunswick at the moment and I'm aware there is the Atlantic Immigration Pilot, although I'm not sure how to go about using that to our advantage if it's an option. Just wondering what could be done even potentially, and if there's something we should be doing to prepare for the future. Not looking for an instant solution but suggestions and ideas and I understand it could take several years.

MonChoon

Sep 10, 2018
Just so I understand correctly. As soon as my wife becomes a PR she would be eligible to sponsor her parents as long as she met the income requirements? Or is there some sort of additional waiting period after becoming a PR before you can sponsor somebody else?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just so I understand correctly. As soon as my wife becomes a PR she would be eligible to sponsor her parents as long as she met the income requirements? Or is there some sort of additional waiting period after becoming a PR before you can sponsor somebody else?
As soon as your wife is a PR - and you and your wife's combined income meets the LICO requirements, she will qualify to sponsor her parents. Note that only a limited number of applications are accepted each year. So just because she qualifies doesn't mean that she will be able to sponsor them that year.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not about the waiting period. It is about to show that you met LICO+30% during last 3-4 years. And the only way to show it if you have filed taxes in Canada.
In this case it is about your wife of course. But you can cosign if you wish to and then your income will count in as well.
For most newcomers in Canada it means like 3-4 year after becoming PR (but your case might be different if you cosign and you yourself were working in Canada).

And as others said, there are limited amount of application taken per year. The demand is like 10x higher.

MonChoon

Sep 10, 2018
Right, I see. I was working outside of Canada and on my NOA I wouldn't meet the minimum requirements by myself anyways. Who can co-sign the application. Is it just a spouse? Could my parents co-sign for my wife? Just wondering about my options that's all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Right, I see. I was working outside of Canada and on my NOA I wouldn't meet the minimum requirements by myself anyways. Who can co-sign the application. Is it just a spouse? Could my parents co-sign for my wife? Just wondering about my options that's all.
Only a spouse can co-sign. And again, to count, the spouse's income must be from Canadian sources (i.e. earned in Canada).

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Then it is simple. For sponsorship, the only option is to wait.
Her parents can attempt to immigrate on their own as well (EE or one of the PNP programs). Just be aware, that given their age their options are rather limited.

Reactions: scylla