+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Hours

Jessu

May 23, 2018
Hello everyone, I know that an international students can work only 20 hours week but I want to know if the hours of work is counted per year or per week. Like I came to Canada in August 2017 and it’s been almost 9 months to me to live in Canada In the previous 8 months I have not did any job and now I get a job (just 2 weeks ago) and they are giving me more than 20 hours. However, I asked from someone and she said that hours are counted per year. So, if you have not did any job for 8 months then you can do work more than 20 hours now and it will be adjusted to your year average working hours. But, I do not want to take any risk. So, is there anyone who can help me in out this with correct information? I would be thankful to everyone.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If it says 20 hours a week it means 20 hours a week not 10 hours one week and 30 the next . Your reason for being in Canada is to study not to work which is why there is a limit in the first place. If you follow through on working more than allowed it will likely affect any future application for a PGWP or PR given it would be considered illegal work so do not do it would be my advice.

People who say otherwise may well have taken the risk so ultimately is up to you but a big price to pay if found out and immigration do focus on the rules being followed.