+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working hours and hourly rate

pls-answer

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
Hello, guys

I am a PGWP holder working full-time, which has been about 10 months now.
I am gonna apply for PR under CEC.

1. working 30 hours per week means I am working full-time?
2. Does a T4 slip mention the number of my working hours and my hourly rate?
3. If it doesn't (Q #2), then would a reference letter from my employer (or the contract signed by my employer and me) do to verify how many hours I worked per week and what my hourly rate is?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

ChrisBanks

Star Member
Apr 11, 2017
Hello, guys

I am a PGWP holder working full-time, which has been about 10 months now.
I am gonna apply for PR under CEC.

3. If it doesn't (Q #2), then would a reference letter from my employer (or the contract signed by my employer and me) do to verify how many hours I worked per week and what my hourly rate is?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.
1. It's fulltime only if you were employed as a fulltime worker.
2. T4 doesn't mention the number of hours.
3.Your employer should give you a reference letter stating if you are a fulltime employee and the number of hours you work in a week.

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
1. It's fulltime only if you were employed as a fulltime worker.
2. T4 doesn't mention the number of hours.
3.Your employer should give you a reference letter stating if you are a fulltime employee and the number of hours you work in a week.
There is a pretty good explanation of what should be in the employers reference letter here:
http://vancouverimmigrationblog.com/the-problem-of-employer-reference-letters-for-economic-immigration-under-express-entry/
Its purpose is to verify that you have completed the minimum canadian employment entry requirement for CEC in a qualifying NOC category. You can back this up with T4s payslips contracts etc. by uploading in the application section related to your employment history.

Reactions: ChrisBanks

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
1. The above is not accurate. For immigration purposes, you are considered to be working full-time if you work 30+ hours per week even if you are not hired as a 'full-time worker'.
2-3. You will need a reference letter from your employer that has the following:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits.
  • If the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe [e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years]).
Good Luck!

spartanking49

Sep 19, 2017
Hi there,

I have worked for 1184 hours (7 nov 2016 to 31 august 2017) with my previous employer and 289 hours (4 oct 2017 to present) with second employer with same NOC. (1184+289 = 1473).
If I count year then its already 1 year but since it was contract jobs I was not paid for all the leave and holidays. So should I wait till 1560 hours in total or am I eligible for applying under CEC?

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Hi there,

I have worked for 1184 hours (7 nov 2016 to 31 august 2017) with my previous employer and 289 hours (4 oct 2017 to present) with second employer with same NOC. (1184+289 = 1473).
If I count year then its already 1 year but since it was contract jobs I was not paid for all the leave and holidays. So should I wait till 1560 hours in total or am I eligible for applying under CEC?
1. You should wait to complete 1560 hours.
2. You can't count more than 30 hours per week in your calculations. So, if you have worked 40 hours in one week, that gives you only 30 hours towards the 1560 hour requirement.
Good luck!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello, guys
Yes. 30 or more hours per week meets IRCC's definition of "full time", regardless of how your employer classifies you.

No. But an end-of-year paystub that shows cumulative information will do that.

The reference letter with all the required information is mandatory. You need the other documents (not necessarily all of them, but some combination of T4, NOA, ROE, paystubs, etc.) as independent supporting information.

spartanking49

Sep 19, 2017
1. You should wait to complete 1560 hours.
2. You can't count more than 30 hours per week in your calculations. So, if you have worked 40 hours in one week, that gives you only 30 hours towards the 1560 hour requirement.
Good luck!
Hey are you sure about this because i know atleast 6 people who were applied for ITA after working 1 year with 37.5 hours and already got the PR.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey are you sure about this because i know atleast 6 people who were applied for ITA after working 1 year with 37.5 hours and already got the PR.
They worked for over a year so obviously they met the requirement. The hours that they worked are irrelevant as they worked more than 30 hrs/week.

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Hi,

Is it mandatory to have a job at the time of applying for PR under CEC. As I am working as an intern for one year and planning to apply under CEC but not sure if I should grab a job first before applying PR under CEC.

Thank you

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Is it mandatory to have a job at the time of applying for PR under CEC. As I am working as an intern for one year and planning to apply under CEC but not sure if I should grab a job first before applying PR under CEC.

Thank you
Not mandatory and it has no effect on your application.

Reactions: Cherrypaul

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
Not mandatory and it has no effect on your application.
Thanks very much.

Also, I am not sure about my NOC as my job title is ''Chemical Engineering Intern'' which comes under NOC 2134, therefore, I am worried if VO will ask how come I work as an engineer since I don't have P.Eng licence.

And is there any example of reference letter from employer available on this forum.

Thank you

monkeyspanner

Sep 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
25-10-2017
AOR Received.
25-10-2017
Med's Done....
08-11-2017
Passport Req..
19-12-2017
IRCC check that the work duties that your employer details in the letter largely match the duties outlined in the NOC category. Most people recommend that this is worded by the employer and not simply copied verbatum from the NOC definition, but there is no harm in mentioning the NOC duties to the employer. I believe IRCC are less concerned about the "employment requirements" (education and qualification) as this is seen as something the employer would wish to ensure before employing you. I did not have the full "employment requirements" for the NOC code on some of my employment and this was not queried by IRCC.

Here is one summary of what the letter should contain. http://www.canadianimmigrationpodcast.com/express-entry-how-to-draft-an-employer-reference-letter-that-works/ there are numerous others on various websites. This one mentions including business cards from employers I was not able to obtain cards and it was not an issue. I included a letter and copies of paystubs for each employment. I did not include T4s and NOAs as suggested on some sites.

Hope that helps, best of luck for a quick ITA and speedy processing of your application.

Cherrypaul

Star Member
Apr 21, 2016
IRCC check that the work duties that your employer details in the letter largely match the duties outlined in the NOC category. Most people recommend that this is worded by the employer and not simply copied verbatum from the NOC definition, but there is no harm in mentioning the NOC duties to the employer. I believe IRCC are less concerned about the "employment requirements" (education and qualification) as this is seen as something the employer would wish to ensure before employing you. I did not have the full "employment requirements" for the NOC code on some of my employment and this was not queried by IRCC.

Here is one summary of what the letter should contain. http://www.canadianimmigrationpodcast.com/express-entry-how-to-draft-an-employer-reference-letter-that-works/ there are numerous others on various websites. This one mentions including business cards from employers I was not able to obtain cards and it was not an issue. I included a letter and copies of paystubs for each employment. I did not include T4s and NOAs as suggested on some sites.

Hope that helps, best of luck for a quick ITA and speedy processing of your application.
Thank you so very much.

I really appreciate that!!

Thanks for the wishes as well.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks very much.

Also, I am not sure about my NOC as my job title is ''Chemical Engineering Intern'' which comes under NOC 2134, therefore, I am worried if VO will ask how come I work as an engineer since I don't have P.Eng licence.
P.Eng license is only required if you claim to be a P.Eng, or claim to perform the duties restricted to a P.Eng. (e.g. approve engineering drawings/reports). Otherwise it is not required.