+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working holidays and remote work

Noobish1

Sep 12, 2014
Hi there, i'm from New Zealand and i'm looking to apply for a working holiday visa.

The company I currently work for would most likely let me work remotely for the duration of my working holiday, is this allowed? or do I have to find work in Canada?

Noobish1

Sep 12, 2014
Perhaps I should phrase this a different way.

Would I be able to work remotely for my New Zealand employer while I try to find a job in Canada during a working holiday?

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Noobish1 said:
Perhaps I should phrase this a different way.

Would I be able to work remotely for my New Zealand employer while I try to find a job in Canada during a working holiday?
From CIC's website: "“Work” is defined in the Regulations as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market."

Even without a working holiday visa, you almost certainly could continue to work remotely for your NZ employer while you were in Canada. However, with a WHV, you're permitted to work for anyone in any job (while staying mindful of any restrictions noted on the work permit). So you should have no worries.

Noobish1

Sep 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply Amira, I figured the same. I've worked remotely while visiting before and it's been ok.

My main problem issue is: While on a working holiday, if I fail to find work and end up working remotely the whole time, is that going to be a problem?

Basicallly, do you actually have to find work on a working holiday?

beholder69

Oct 9, 2011
Noobish1 said:
Thanks for the reply Amira, I figured the same. I've worked remotely while visiting before and it's been ok.

My main problem issue is: While on a working holiday, if I fail to find work and end up working remotely the whole time, is that going to be a problem?

Basicallly, do you actually have to find work on a working holiday?
No, you don't. It's actually supposed to be a Visa for "tourism" but which also allows you to work if you wish to make ends meet or gain international experience, if that makes sense :D