+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working holiday with Canadian girlfriend and our son who is not a canadian citizen

Tomo9

Mar 4, 2019
Hi,

I was wondering what visa I would need to gain for my son when we go to canada on the IEC programme.

My Girlfriend is a citizen by descent but as our son is the second generation outside of Canada he is not a citizen.

Our plan was that I would do a 2 year IEC but haven't been able to find much information on what visa our 4 year old son will need.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thankyou

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

Hi,

I was wondering what visa I would need to gain for my son when we go to canada on the IEC programme.

My Girlfriend is a citizen by descent but as our son is the second generation outside of Canada he is not a citizen.

Our plan was that I would do a 2 year IEC but haven't been able to find much information on what visa our 4 year old son will need.

1. If he is from a visa exempt country, then he would need an ETA, otherwise a TRV.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

As said above, eTA or TRV.

Your girlfriend should start the sponsorship process for the child. If you are common-law and plan to live in Canada long-term, she should be sponsoring both of you.

Tomo9

Mar 4, 2019
Thankyou both for your responses.

We are from the UK so I assume that is just an eTA then.

Yes the plan is to try use the 2 years as our trial period and if afternoon year we are enjoying it we will behind the sponsorship process for us both.

Thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thankyou both for your responses.

We are from the UK so I assume that is just an eTA then.

Yes the plan is to try use the 2 years as our trial period and if afternoon year we are enjoying it we will behind the sponsorship process for us both.

Thanks again
There is no point in delaying the sponsorship of the child. She can apply for the child's Canadian citizenship as soon as he is a PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on where you're living your child may not have access to healthcare or free public schooling. Both vary by province.

Tomo9

Mar 4, 2019
We are going to be staying just outside of ottawa.

Me and my son will be covered by travel insurance for the 2 years we are there.

But I am now considering doing the child sponsorship for permanent residency.

If we choose to leave after 2 years will my son loose his residency for not staying in Canada For long enough ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If we choose to leave after 2 years will my son loose his residency for not staying in Canada For long enough ?
No if he gets PR he will maintain PR status but if he doesn't meet the residency obligation he could lose it again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

As I said, as soon as he is a PR, his mother can apply for his Canadian citizenship.