+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working holiday > tourist > common law visa

Jieun2712

Aug 11, 2017
Hi
I am in Canada on Working Holiday visa now which would expire on Oct 6th.
I am applying for Common law Sponsorship with my bf here.
I will still have to wait for my open work permit after Oct 6th since it takes more than two months I hear.

I am planning on visiting Korea right before Oct 6th, then come back, get a tourist visa which wouls be 6 months and then wait for my open work permit.

1. Would this be a problem? 2. Would they give me a tourist visa without any problem.

3. And is it going to be okay to be away from Canada while they go through my Common law sponsorship paperwork.

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Processing time for the OWP will take approximately four months.

Since you are applying inland, you need to remain in Canada. If you want to leave for a week or so - that's fine. If you leave for two months, it's quite possible the application may be canceled. You should avoid long trips outside of the country.

Whether you're allowed back into Canada is always up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border.

Reactions: Jieun2712

Jieun2712

Aug 11, 2017
Processing time for the OWP will take approximately four months.

Since you are applying inland, you need to remain in Canada. If you want to leave for a week or so - that's fine. If you leave for two months, it's quite possible the application may be canceled. You should avoid long trips outside of the country.

Whether you're allowed back into Canada is always up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border.
So would it be better to visit Korea (for a week) before Oct 6th which is my working holiday excitement day? And then go somewhere close for one day and get back for Tourist visa ?

Also the officer could possibly reject to give me a tourist visa for no reason? Even if I show them I applied for permanent visa
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You would be better off not to leave Canada at all and simply apply to change your status to visitor before your IEC expires.

Reactions: Jieun2712

Jieun2712

Aug 11, 2017
You would be better off not to leave Canada at all and simply apply to change your status to visitor before your IEC expires.
But they can't deny for me to come back when my IEC visa hasn't expired yet, right? It's personal but I gotta visit Korea soon so I am thinking of when would be the best.
And can I just change it to visitor without leaving Canada for short time? Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But they can't deny for me to come back when my IEC visa hasn't expired yet, right? It's personal but I gotta visit Korea soon so I am thinking of when would be the best.
And can I just change it to visitor without leaving Canada for short time? Thanks
Yes, they can deny you entry. You are not a Canadian citizen or a PR, so you do not have the right of entry.

You can apply online to change your status to visitor.

Jieun2712

Aug 11, 2017
Yes, they can deny you entry. You are not a Canadian citizen or a PR, so you do not have the right of entry.

You can apply online to change your status to visitor.
Ah I understand, sorry to ask so many questions.

Then how early do I have to apply to change it before my visa expires? And after I get it then, would it be better to be away from Canada for like a week?

Thabks