+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working holiday to count as Canada Experience.

maralejo

Dec 14, 2015
Hi all.

I qualify to get into the pool for Express Entry as a skilled immigrant, however I haven’t applied yet because I am a bit short on CRS points (Comprehensive Ranking System) with just about 350 according to online calculators, which is below the cut, in order to increase my points I was thinking on using the working holyday IEC to go to Canada and work full time for a year in an A class NOC (Computer Programmer), however:

1. Because of my country of precedence I can only stay in Canada for 12 months tops, since I would be looking for a job for a month or two that would give me 10 months of experience (not enough to qualify for points).
2. Is there any good/reputable visa agency that could help me find a job before I arrive to Canada? Or is this something doable online by myself?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: if the IEC program is not a good path to PR please let me know a better option.

Reactions: vin10

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you're right. It will probably take some time to find a job once you are in Canada. It's extremely rare that a 1 year IEC gets you a full year of work experience in Canada.
2. Stay away from agencies. Best approach is to find a job yourself by applying to openings directly.

A year of work experience in Canada won't necessarily get you selected for PR under Express Entry. Best approach would be to find an employer in Canada willing to offer you a permanent job and able to obtain an approved LMIA - so that you can get an extra 600 points under express entry for having a job offer.

maralejo

Dec 14, 2015
Scylla thanks for your response, do you think It might be less difficult to get hired if I already have an IEC work permit (applying online from my country of origin) so I can get as much experience as possible when I arrive. I heard getting a job offer from outside Canada is rather difficult, especially the LMIA might be a hassle to companies.

I researched and found the demand for IT position is quite healthy, however I understand finding a job would depend on the qualifications I might possess. Thanks a lot for your input.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm afraid I can't comment based on personal experience. However technically it should be somewhat easier since you are already approved for a work permit and don't need an LMIA.

Annjo89

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Hello,

I had a Work and Holiday visa from September 2014 to September 2015 and would like to go back to Canada for work and I wonder if I can apply for Working Holiday visa again? I am a Swedish citizen.

Thank you
Annie

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Annjo89 said:
Hello,

I had a Work and Holiday visa from September 2014 to September 2015 and would like to go back to Canada for work and I wonder if I can apply for Working Holiday visa again? I am a Swedish citizen.

Thank you
Annie
1. Yes, you can apply twice. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=se&cat=wh

BlessedSherry

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/09/2014
Doc's Request.
17th March 16, docs sent 2nd April
AOR Received.
07/01/2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
not required
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Copr 14.04.2016
LANDED..........
...Waiting
maralejo said:
Hi all.

I qualify to get into the pool for Express Entry as a skilled immigrant, however I haven’t applied yet because I am a bit short on CRS points (Comprehensive Ranking System) with just about 350 according to online calculators, which is below the cut, in order to increase my points I was thinking on using the working holyday IEC to go to Canada and work full time for a year in an A class NOC (Computer Programmer), however:

1. Because of my country of precedence I can only stay in Canada for 12 months tops, since I would be looking for a job for a month or two that would give me 10 months of experience (not enough to qualify for points).
2. Is there any good/reputable visa agency that could help me find a job before I arrive to Canada? Or is this something doable online by myself?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS: if the IEC program is not a good path to PR please let me know a better option.
Hyey which country are you from?
I applied for my PR under CEC afer getting my work experience on a working holiday visa.
You are quite right, it will be quite difficult to find a job straight away, but depending on where you are from, you can apply for a second working holiday visa.
I am from UK and this is what I did, before the first one ran out, I applied for the second one and in total i got around 20 mnths of Canadian work experience. :)

maralejo

Dec 14, 2015
Hi mate, I am from Costa Rica, it seems I can apply for a second 12 month IEC permit but under a different category, that means that if I already used the working holiday I would have to apply for a "young professional".

Its good to know other people has already done this successfully, thanks.

PS: which province did you chose? It seems in Quebec I could apply for a Certificat de selection after a year and get a more permanent permit, that looks more straight forward that getting a LMA on any other province.