+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Holiday Permit extension

DutchCanuck

Mar 20, 2019
Hello,

I've been in Canada on a working holiday permit since August last year.
When I arrived in Canada, my permit got issued and I had to tell them when I planned on leaving.
I told them that I expected to leave end of January so that's what they set the expiry date to.
However, plans changed and I wanted to stay longer. Now, the working holiday permit makes Dutch citizens eligible to stay for 12 months, but I intended to stay for a shorter period than that.
In December I decided to apply for an extension as I thought that was possible as the visa still made me eligible to stay longer, it's just that the expiry date was set earlier.
Now, after I applied for the extension I heard and read that it's not possible to do this and that it can even be seen as abuse of the visa process. I expect to hear back end of April, but I'm already panicking and don't know what to do anymore

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I've been in Canada on a working holiday permit since August last year.
When I arrived in Canada, my permit got issued and I had to tell them when I planned on leaving.
I told them that I expected to leave end of January so that's what they set the expiry date to.
However, plans changed and I wanted to stay longer. Now, the working holiday permit makes Dutch citizens eligible to stay for 12 months, but I intended to stay for a shorter period than that.
In December I decided to apply for an extension as I thought that was possible as the visa still made me eligible to stay longer, it's just that the expiry date was set earlier.
Now, after I applied for the extension I heard and read that it's not possible to do this and that it can even be seen as abuse of the visa process. I expect to hear back end of April, but I'm already panicking and don't know what to do anymore
Your case is pretty unique. I think you should be expecting a refusal - but you never know.

At this point you might as well wait and see what happens. If it's a refusal, you'll need to stop working immediately and should leave the country within 30 days.

Reactions: DutchCanuck