+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Hoilday Visa (IEC) and Nurses

vinem

Feb 15, 2014
Hello Friends,

My sister has recently come to Canada with an open work permit issued through working holiday visa from Ireland. She is a nurse by profession; recently passed the licensing exam from Canadian Nurses Organization (CNO)

CNO just informed her that she cannot work as an Registered Nurse with this visa until the condition #3 is not removed from it.

Condition 3 states that " NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN CHILDCARE , PRIMARY OR SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHING OR HEALTH SERVICE FIELD OCCUPATIONS"

I am seeking your advice on how this condition can be updated or removed in order to work in "Health Services Field Occupation".

Thanks,
Vinem

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
Hi,

This may be due to the fact that certain professions may require health screening prior to obtaining a work visa. Nurses work in healthcare so therefore health screening needs to be done by a visa medical approved office. Even though she passed her licensing exams, without the appropriate conditions on the visa she may not be able to register with the nursing body in that province.

Long story short, it may involve applying for a new visa all together from wherever you are and then completing a "flagpole" trip to come back in to Canada and have the appropriate visa replace the one she's currently on. Upon initiating the application process for the work permit, it does ask if the applicant intends on working within certain fields, those being childcare, healthcare etc etc. If yes is selected then this helps build the correct application package when opening your myCIC account. If nursing is the intended profession then yes, a medical exam needs to be done prior to issuing the LOI, because if not then you are limited to working in other professions.

So it may be that she has to find other work until this gets sorted. I think that by starting a new application in the mean time with the correct details, and then getting the correct medical checks done, you could then flagpole at the border to re-enter and be issued a new visa.

Hope this helps a bit. Let us know how you go or if you have any more information that might shed more light on the situation. My information isn't 100% rock solid, but it does sound like you're in a tricky spot.

Matt.

Star Member
May 3, 2011
vinem said:
Hello Friends,

My sister has recently come to Canada with an open work permit issued through working holiday visa from Ireland. She is a nurse by profession; recently passed the licensing exam from Canadian Nurses Organization (CNO)

CNO just informed her that she cannot work as an Registered Nurse with this visa until the condition #3 is not removed from it.

Condition 3 states that " NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN CHILDCARE , PRIMARY OR SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHING OR HEALTH SERVICE FIELD OCCUPATIONS"

I am seeking your advice on how this condition can be updated or removed in order to work in "Health Services Field Occupation".

Thanks,
Vinem
I came to Canada under working holiday. Since I wanted to work with children, I had a medical exam by a panel physician and applied for change condition. Three months later, I got a new work permit that doesn't state " NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN CHILDCARE , PRIMARY OR SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHING OR HEALTH SERVICE FIELD OCCUPATIONS"