+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working from home (Windsor, ON) for US employer during COVID times

samshaik

Apr 30, 2020
Hello All,

I live in US, currently working on H1B status and have a Canadian PR too. Since my home lease in US is ending soon, i'm planning to move to Canada permanently and start daily commuting as soon as border crossing restrictions are lifted, until then (unknown duration due to pandemic situation) I might have to remotely work for my US employer(Detroit based).

So wanted to understand from other H1B daily commuters, since there are border crossing restrictions in place temporarily, how people are managing remote work from Canada for US employer without impacting your H1B status or not breaking immigration laws both side ? Some insight on this topic is greatly appreciated.

samshaik

Apr 30, 2020
If you are so concered maybe wait until the pandemic is over and move.
Appreciate your advise, but as I said my rental lease in US is ending soon. So I have to make a move, but before that I thought of checking with others who are stuck at home and supporting employer remotely.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Appreciate your advise, but as I said my rental lease in US is ending soon. So I have to make a move, but before that I thought of checking with others who are stuck at home and supporting employer remotely.
If you can figure out logistics related to the move, I don’t see anything that would risk your immigration in either place. Just go for it.

You can work from Windsor till the pandemic ends and then start commuting after borders are fully open. there is no issue in working from Canada being on H1b as LCA is applicable only for someone within US. only thing you need to account for site visits from Uscis, but at this time they seem to be doing site audits these days through phone and emailing clients, so someone showing up at your workplace is extremely unlikely. Once they are able come for physical site visits, it would also mean that you should be in a position to commute freely.

another thing to consider is having valid petition for some time. If your extension is coming up soon, your company may expect you to be physically present in US in order to file an extension of stay.

samshaik

Apr 30, 2020
If you can figure out logistics related to the move, I don’t see anything that would risk your immigration in either place. Just go for it.

You can work from Windsor till the pandemic ends and then start commuting after borders are fully open. there is no issue in working from Canada being on H1b as LCA is applicable only for someone within US. only thing you need to account for site visits from Uscis, but at this time they seem to be doing site audits these days through phone and emailing clients, so someone showing up at your workplace is extremely unlikely. Once they are able come for physical site visits, it would also mean that you should be in a position to commute freely.

another thing to consider is having valid petition for some time. If your extension is coming up soon, your company may expect you to be physically present in US in order to file an extension of stay.
Thank you! that helps.

May 28, 2019
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation where I want to move to Canada and keep working remotely for a US employer in Detroit.

I want to know if you looked at any tax implications of such arrangement.

Thanks in advance.
Did you get a chance to file an LCA for detroit location? I am curious about this process?

Sree G

Sep 28, 2021
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation where I want to move to Canada and keep working remotely for a US employer in Detroit.

I want to know if you looked at any tax implications of such arrangement.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Preeti ,
Just wondering if your situation is same as mine..
I will live in Windsor starting October 15th .. but my employer is allowing me to work remotely for them from Detroit . so I will have to commute to Detroit each day to my shared office space that i have rented.. are you also in the same situation where you have to commute to Detroit to work for an employer located elsewhere in the US ?

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Anyone has an experience or update to share on this?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Preeti ,
Just wondering if your situation is same as mine..
I will live in Windsor starting October 15th .. but my employer is allowing me to work remotely for them from Detroit . so I will have to commute to Detroit each day to my shared office space that i have rented.. are you also in the same situation where you have to commute to Detroit to work for an employer located elsewhere in the US ?
Hey , have you started commuting daily yet from Windsor to Detroit? If yes, weren't you asked the question where do you work ? Or your client name?