+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working from Home in India for 6-8 Months for Canadian Company: Will It Count Towards PR?

Jul 18, 2023
Hey everyone!

I hope you're all doing well. I wanted to reach out to the community with a question regarding my situation, and I would greatly appreciate any insights or experiences you may have to share.

Here's the deal: I am going to work remotely (I have 3 years of work permit) from my home in India for 6-8 months for a Canadian company. I'm considering applying for permanent residency (PR) in Canada after a year (including the 6-8 months in India), and I'm wondering if this period of remote work will count towards my PR application.

From my understanding, the Canadian government evaluates PR applications based on a variety of factors, including work experience. However, I'm not entirely certain how working from home in another country fits into this equation. I am going to contribute to the Canadian company's operations, fulfilling my job responsibilities remotely, and maintain regular communication with my Canadian colleagues.

But, will this remote work experience count towards my PR application? Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any knowledge about this? I would like to hear your thoughts or experiences.

I'm aware that immigration policies can change, and it's always a good idea to consult with an immigration lawyer or a certified consultant. However, it's also helpful to hear from others who might have gone through a similar experience or have some knowledge on the topic.

Thank you in advance for your help and support. I look forward to hearing from you and learning more about this topic!

Best regards.

Last edited:

thefirstyeet

Jul 5, 2023
for canadian experience class, it won't unless you are required to be in India for your job (e.g you are a consultant who travels)

Jul 18, 2023
for canadian experience class, it won't unless you are required to be in India for your job (e.g you are a consultant who travels)
Well, we are going to have a contract with a development team in India soon, and I will have to collaborate with them for work. Does it help if I request my company and they make me the point person on this contract for collaboration and communication ?

Last edited:

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Based on what you have described, this would not count towards CEC. You got the job while in India and your contract by no means suggests you operate from a Canadian office location but strictly remote from another country. So I don't think you can prove otherwise. However, the work experience would count towards foreign work experience. This very convenient deal you got does not work well for a faster PR application.

Jul 18, 2023
Based on what you have described, this would not count towards CEC. You got the job while in India and your contract by no means suggests you operate from a Canadian office location but strictly remote from another country. So I don't think you can prove otherwise. However, the work experience would count towards foreign work experience. This very convenient deal you got does not work well for a faster PR application.
Hey, I am sorry for the confusion but I am in canada right now, I will go to India after finishing the first month of the job in canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Well, we are going to have a contract with a development team in India soon, and I will have to collaborate with them for work. Does it help if I request my company and they make me the point person on this contract for collaboration and communication ?
No, this won't make a difference. The 6-8 months you spend working outside of Canada will be classified as foreign work experience.

Reactions: Taran D