+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working from Detroit and Living in Windsor / Daily commute

sk1983

Oct 23, 2018
Hello,

I have a question around living in Windsor and working in Detroit. I want to do this to maintain my canadian PR.

Here is my situation:

I am a H1B visa holder, working in USA for a company located in Sunnyvale, CA, also I have canadian PR. Wanted to relocate to Canada last year but unable to do so due to COVID.Now , we are planning to move there in June’21.

Request advise on below points :

1 . Can I work from Detroit while living in Windsor. Is this allowed during COVID too.

2. Is H1 b visa stamping is required while doing daily commute as my visa is expiring in Sep 21

3. What is the process to do daily commute ... is there any formalities which I need to complete before moving to canada

4. Since my LCA is for sunnyvale , California location.. do i need to ask my employer/ client to transfer me to detroit location

So this way I can maintain my PR status along with my job in USA. Is this possible?

It would be great if someone can share his/her phone number to discuss in detail.

Thank you very much in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I have a question around living in Windsor and working in Detroit. I want to do this to maintain my canadian PR.

Here is my situation:

I am a H1B visa holder, working in USA for a company located in Sunnyvale, CA, also I have canadian PR. Wanted to relocate to Canada last year but unable to do so due to COVID.Now , we are planning to move there in June’21.

Request advise on below points :

1 . Can I work from Detroit while living in Windsor. Is this allowed during COVID too.

2. Is H1 b visa stamping is required while doing daily commute as my visa is expiring in Sep 21

3. What is the process to do daily commute ... is there any formalities which I need to complete before moving to canada

4. Since my LCA is for sunnyvale , California location.. do i need to ask my employer/ client to transfer me to detroit location

So this way I can maintain my PR status along with my job in USA. Is this possible?

It would be great if someone can share his/her phone number to discuss in detail.

Thank you very much in advance.
Currently only essential workers can cross the border so you would not be able to cross the border if your office location is in California. Would start off by discussing your plans with your employer and whether they'll be comfortable working remotely from Canada or transferring you to their Detroit offices to commute daily. Some employers are comfortable with employees working remotely from Canada on H1B while others are not.