+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for Canadian company outside Canada but family living in Canada

Feb 21, 2013
Hi we landed in Canada in January 2012 and left same month.

Our PR card expiring in January 2017, in order to save our PR status I’m thinking to send my wife and son to live in Canada for at least 2 years while I stay outside and continue my job (which is in a private Canadian company outside Canada)

Now the only problem is – If I continue working outside Canada I’m going to lose my residency status but having my family in Canada for the last 2 years ..and also working for Canadian employer outside Canada ..would that be enough to appeal on H&C basis to re-new my PR?

All your answers to assists my case would be extremely helpful
Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Days spent working for a Canadian company outside of Canada only count if you were first hired for a position in Canada and then at a later date transferred to a position outside of Canada. If this description doesn't fit your situation - then your work for the Canadian company won't benefit you in any way when it comes to retaining PR status.

None of us can tell you if you would win H&C based on your family living in Canada. You might or you might not. So the short answer to your question is no - having your family in Canada will not guarantee an H&C appeal win.

If you lose your PR status your wife can sponsor you as her spouse.

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for your clear answer.

I work for one of the iconic company of Canada well known globally, but yes the way you explained I doesn't satisfy the criteria :-(

Incase of my wife sponsoring me:
Can she do while on PR status only? or she has to WAIT until she has Canadian citizenship/passport in hand?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, she can sponsor you while on PR status as long as she lives in Canada and the sponsorship application is mail from Canada.

Feb 21, 2013
Many thanks Scylla & Steaky

Even though I was the primary main applicant when we were awarded PR cards, but now seems this is the plan I stay outside Canada continue earning money and family moved to Canada for at least 2 years in order to keep the PR status alive..than sponsor me back.

But Does she has to fulfill any criteria other than physically being in Canada? e.g Salary? sufficient funds in bank? any point score or anything?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
advisecanadian2013 said:
But Does she has to fulfill any criteria other than physically being in Canada? e.g Salary? sufficient funds in bank? any point score or anything?
She can't be on welfare.