+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for Canadian Business incorporated but away from Canada

Blackking

Star Member
Sep 2, 2015
Hi

Friend of mine have a contract job with Canadian Business which is incorporated but he is away from Canada, will his presence outside canada will be considered or counted toward his PR renewal or Citizenship application.

I tried searching behalf of him and my assumption is only people who are employed by Government or Federal sector outside canada can count their presence outside canada for their citizenship or PR renewal applications?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence/calculating-residence-physical-presence-certain-family-members-canadian-citizen-permanent-resident-living-abroad.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not only government employees but without more information we can't help you. Was he working at this company in Canada before? Is this a large company or is he part owner in the company? Things like that.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This is the link you should be referring to not a link specific to Canadian Government employees or Armed Forces.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA

The key requirement being an individual should start work for a Canadian employer in Canada and be assigned temporarily outside Canada for that employer with the intention being they return to Canada at some point to work for that same employer.

For citizenship actual physical presence is required for anyone not in the Government or armed forces category.

Blackking

Star Member
Sep 2, 2015
Not only government employees but without more information we can't help you. Was he working at this company in Canada before? Is this a large company or is he part owner in the company? Things like that.
This is a small company, he is working with them before yes. He is not part owner of the company

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long was he working for them in Canada? Was he a PR at the time? How long has he been working out of Canada? Just double-checking that he is not related to any of the owners. Is he working in his home country or a 3rd country?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Was he given a contract overseas for a specific length of time? Do the have a subsidiary office where he is working (an actual facility/office/factory/etc)?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi

Friend of mine have a contract job with Canadian Business which is incorporated but he is away from Canada, will his presence outside canada will be considered or counted toward his PR renewal or Citizenship application.

I tried searching behalf of him and my assumption is only people who are employed by Government or Federal sector outside canada can count their presence outside canada for their citizenship or PR renewal applications?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence/calculating-residence-physical-presence-certain-family-members-canadian-citizen-permanent-resident-living-abroad.html
Why exactly is he away from Canada?

Did his company assign him to a specific assignment outside Canada, under the condition that he will return back to Canada to continue with the company after that assignment is completed? This is basically the only way for working outside Canada to count to PR residency obligation.