+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working below 20 hours/week as a full-time international student, but when do they count the start of the week?

seominp

Dec 23, 2018
I am an international full time student. I am working 16 hours this week and 16 next week. My job schedules work week from Sunday to Saturday.
However, I have an issue with what is considered the start of the week, because if they count from Sunday (how my work place does it) it is below 20 but if they start from another day it will go over 20. For example my schedule is these 2 weeks is:

Wednesday: 8 hours
Saturday: 8 hours
Total = 16
--- (new week)
Sunday: 7 hours
Tuesday: 4
Wednesday: 3
Thursday: 4
Total =16

However, if they count from Wednesday (my first day) to next Wednesday for the same schedule, it will be:

Wednesday: 8
Saturday: 8
Sunday: 7
Total = 30
--next week
Total = 4

I'm not sure when the government says "up to 20 per week" when do they consider the start the week? I already told my manager to not schedule me for more than 20 hours per week and since we go Sunday-Saturday at work she is giving me 16 every week, but if calculated from my first day to the next it will be more? So can someone help me out with whether I should make some changes in my schedule to be safe?

GMP97

Jun 25, 2019
Pakistan, Karachi
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
22-11-2019
Passport Req..
19-12-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23/12/2019
LANDED..........
25/12/2019
I am an international full time student. I am working 16 hours this week and 16 next week. My job schedules work week from Sunday to Saturday.
However, I have an issue with what is considered the start of the week, because if they count from Sunday (how my work place does it) it is below 20 but if they start from another day it will go over 20. For example my schedule is these 2 weeks is:

Wednesday: 8 hours
Saturday: 8 hours
Total = 16
--- (new week)
Sunday: 7 hours
Total =16

However, if they count from Wednesday (my first day) to next Wednesday for the same schedule, it will be:

Wednesday: 8
Saturday: 8
Sunday: 7
Total = 30
--next week
Total = 4

I'm not sure when the government says "up to 20 per week" when do they consider the start the week? I already told my manager to not schedule me for more than 20 hours per week and since we go Sunday-Saturday at work she is giving me 16 every week, but if calculated from my first day to the next it will be more? So can someone help me out with whether I should make some changes in my schedule to be safe?
cic does not care about per week working hours they care about how many hours you worked over the entire year its about 960 hours or less over the year with full time studies. So, in 48 months you shouldn't have worked more than 960 hours. The 20 hours/week is more of a guideline to achieve that

Reactions: Yangz