+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working Before Graduation and PGWP

potatobeans

May 6, 2020
Hi all,

I have received my final grades but not my final grade report (the one with the term and cum averages, eligibility to graduate/continue in program). I thought I could apply for my PGWP after receiving my final grades but was told by the international office in my school that I had to wait until my final grade report is released. However, I do have a letter from my program saying that I have completed my program and will be eligible to graduate in June. I had requested this letter because I thought I could start my PGWP application.

The website says that I have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after I get my degree, diploma, transcript, or official letter from my school. Does this mean that my 180 days to apply for PGWP starts from the date of that letter? Or do I still have wait for my final grade report to apply? Even if I applied now, my transcript will not say that I have completed my program.

In the mean time, would my study permit still be valid since I have not received my final grade report? I understand that I am not able to work after I am told that I have completed my program and before I apply for PGWP. Am I able to work right now?

Thank you.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
You need to find out when is the last day you are considered a full time student. I believe this is the date that matters. Ask them to tell you explicitly, and if the first person in the administration doesn't know, ask further until someone tells you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I have received my final grades but not my final grade report (the one with the term and cum averages, eligibility to graduate/continue in program). I thought I could apply for my PGWP after receiving my final grades but was told by the international office in my school that I had to wait until my final grade report is released. However, I do have a letter from my program saying that I have completed my program and will be eligible to graduate in June. I had requested this letter because I thought I could start my PGWP application.

The website says that I have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after I get my degree, diploma, transcript, or official letter from my school. Does this mean that my 180 days to apply for PGWP starts from the date of that letter? Or do I still have wait for my final grade report to apply? Even if I applied now, my transcript will not say that I have completed my program.

In the mean time, would my study permit still be valid since I have not received my final grade report? I understand that I am not able to work after I am told that I have completed my program and before I apply for PGWP. Am I able to work right now?

Thank you.
As you already have written confirmation of program completion, you are no longer allowed to work.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

potatobeans

May 6, 2020
Does that mean my 180 days starts from the day I received that letter?

I checked with my school’s international office and they said that my 180 days starts from the day I get my final grade report which means I can work until I get that report. I’m just really confused because I’ve read and heard different things.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Does that mean my 180 days starts from the day I received that letter?

I checked with my school’s international office and they said that my 180 days starts from the day I get my final grade report which means I can work until I get that report. I’m just really confused because I’ve read and heard different things.
Yes.

You need to follow what IRCC states, not what other people say.