New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2016
LANDED..........
July End
Hi everyone,

Can an international student work legally before the course start or he/she needs to wait for
course commencement and then work 20 hours during classes and full-time during breaks.

Please advise.

PS : Something similar was asked in another thread but I can't find it anymore.

Cheers

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Working before classes start is illegal and can put your status in Canada in jeopardy. You need to wait until classes begin before you can start working. Once classes start, you can work up to 20 hours a week off campus. During breaks (e.g. summer vacation) - you can work over 20 hours per week.

Gymguy

Jul 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2016
LANDED..........
July End
scylla said:
Working before classes start is illegal and can put your status in Canada in jeopardy. You need to wait until classes begin before you can start working. Once classes start, you can work up to 20 hours a week off campus. During breaks (e.g. summer vacation) - you can work over 20 hours per week.
Thanks Scylla. Appreciate your prompt reply. My friends consultant has advised him that he can start working on SIN as soon as you land and I remember reading it somewhere on this forum that it's illegal. Is it possible for you to provide me a link from CIC or somewhere else so that I can pinpoint him for misguiding and putting people's future in complete jeopardy.

Thanking you once again for your time and genuine advice.

Regards.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Nobody needs to provide you a link to the cic page for this. You can find it yourself in the student section and working off campus. It's that simple.

Gymguy

Jul 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2016
LANDED..........
July End
yyzstudent said:
Nobody needs to provide you a link to the cic page for this. You can find it yourself in the student section and working off campus. It's that simple.
Thanks.

I found the link yesterday itself in the student section and working off campus :). Only thing is that I wanted (if possible) an express statement about restriction so that I could share it with the consultant. It's implied from the below link though but an express restriction in some rule/bylaw would have gone a long way in helping naive newcomers. As to me I am looking around and if I find something part-time, I would start working next month only when school starts.

Link for others (just in case)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

Also there is a Self Assessment tool on the page which implies (clearly) about working off campus during school/breaks.

Thanking scylla again for expressing it clearly and yyz also for pointers to the link above which will help others.

My advice to other newcomers : Please don't fall into the web of misguidance by working before course commencement. It's illegal, plain and simple.

Cheers.