+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working As Software Developer in Canada

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I would like to get some information about working in Canada as software developer. If any is or have been in this field (software developer) I would like to hear your experiences as working as software developer. You can tell your experience or answer to following questions or both.

1. What it's like be working as software developer in Canada (co-workers, tasks, challenges)?
2. Is there good envirnoment at job?
3. Are canadian demanding in this field?
4. Does they offer good benefits and support for software developer?
5. How important cultural aspect is for canadian in this field?

I hope that those questions are not irrelevant for this section, if so I ask admins/moderators to move it to appropriate section.

Love_London

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
LONDON
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
Dec 2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with application (7.5 band)
Med's Request
March 2013
Med's Done....
April 2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
October 2013
VISA ISSUED...
October 2013 (PP received November 2013)
LANDED..........
November 2013
I think it will be same as working anywhere else in world. I am not from Canada but recently visited Canada and interacted with few of my friends who are working as developer/lead in downtown Toronto. One is in RBC and other one is in Citi. The one in Citi was crying of work pressure but that is same here in London as well. Lot of stress if you work for investment banks. Earlier he was contracting and was happy with it. more money less stress.

Salary for snr. software developer in permanent job is around 70k-90k. That is what my friends are earning.

If you have right experience and credentials backing you, demand is always there in Canada. Wish you good luck.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very much for your answer Love_London. It hepled really. My plans currently are follows:

1. I will get at least 3 years of working experience in software development field.
2. Study Master degree in computer science.
3. When I have time do own projects to boost my skills.
4. Immigrate to Canada when it's propriate time.

I'm Java software developer especialized in developing web applications with JavaEE. I started my career here in Finland this month but I'm looking always for new challenges. I saw that there are big need of Java software developers in Canada. I excepted snr. software developer salary to be in Canada somwhere around 90k-120k, but I think it depends about the company. What do you mean with right experience?

Love_London

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
LONDON
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
Dec 2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with application (7.5 band)
Med's Request
March 2013
Med's Done....
April 2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
October 2013
VISA ISSUED...
October 2013 (PP received November 2013)
LANDED..........
November 2013
The only way to earn more than 100k is to work in niche skills like Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing, Enterprise Skills, Visualization, Cloud Computing. Difficult to get more than 100k in Java/.Net which doesn't fall into niche skills. Though not impossible. Try to gain as much experience as you can and then migrate to your dream place. Wish you all the best.

thomas78

Star Member
May 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-06-2011
Softdev00 said:
Hello,

I would like to get some information about working in Canada as software developer. If any is or have been in this field (software developer) I would like to hear your experiences as working as software developer. You can tell your experience or answer to following questions or both.

1. What it's like be working as software developer in Canada (co-workers, tasks, challenges)?
2. Is there good envirnoment at job?
3. Are canadian demanding in this field?
4. Does they offer good benefits and support for software developer?
5. How important cultural aspect is for canadian in this field?

I hope that those questions are not irrelevant for this section, if so I ask admins/moderators to move it to appropriate section.
Hi,
Banking, insurance and service domains always have work pressure. However there are product companies and R&D firms where we can have a relaxed work culture. Immigrants who possess suitable skills with a valid professional work reference will not face difficulty in getting into IT field. The nature of Benefits vary from firms to firms. Co-workers are very kind especially managers or supervisors. I have been working as a software developer in Canada for the past few years and I am very very happy financially and professionally. I have a perfect work and personal life balance.

thomas78

Star Member
May 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-06-2011
Love_London said:
The only way to earn more than 100k is to work in niche skills like Business Intelligence, Data Warehousing, Enterprise Skills, Visualization, Cloud Computing. Difficult to get more than 100k in Java/.Net which doesn't fall into niche skills. Though not impossible. Try to gain as much experience as you can and then migrate to your dream place. Wish you all the best.
what you said is 100% true........

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thomas78 said:
Hi,
Banking, insurance and service domains always have work pressure. However there are product companies and R&D firms where we can have a relaxed work culture. Immigrants who possess suitable skills with a valid professional work reference will not face difficulty in getting into IT field. The nature of Benefits vary from firms to firms. Co-workers are very kind especially managers or supervisors. I have been working as a software developer in Canada for the past few years and I am very very happy financially and professionally. I have a perfect work and personal life balance.
Thomas thanks for your answer and it's awesome to hear that you are doing well and that it is not difficult to get into IT field if person have suitable skills and enough experience. To be honest I started my career in software development last month and I'm somehow happy about the company I work, but it could be better. I will stick with my plans this far and see where it goes. But I have been very enthustiastic and eager to learn new things in this field. I love my job and I learn new things every single day. But still I feel that it miss something.

If I would immigrate to Canada probably I would apply for product companies or R&D. For me it's very important to not work in very fast paced company because of learning purpose and I believe that if there's no space for errors and worker is not allowed to do mistakes, there's no way to learn things sincerely and understand them.

Does Canadian software companies usually have relaxed work culture in general?

singh-ak

Sep 18, 2013
Love_London said:
I think it will be same as working anywhere else in world. I am not from Canada but recently visited Canada and interacted with few of my friends who are working as developer/lead in downtown Toronto. One is in RBC and other one is in Citi. The one in Citi was crying of work pressure but that is same here in London as well. Lot of stress if you work for investment banks. Earlier he was contracting and was happy with it. more money less stress.

Salary for snr. software developer in permanent job is around 70k-90k. That is what my friends are earning.

If you have right experience and credentials backing you, demand is always there in Canada. Wish you good luck.
70k-90K is after or before tax?

What will be the job prospects of a guy with 3.5 Years of experience in Java Technologies like Spring, JSP , Servlets, Hibernate , Struts?

I have 3.5 Years of experience and i plan to come to Canada and study for 2 years and work after that do you think my experience before the canadian education will help me?