+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as an international student

jenma2017

Sep 27, 2017
Hi!

I'm an international student at uoft and I'm currently on 3 year suspension (starting may 2019). However, I've already applied to another program at a college, got accepted and will start there in September. My study is valid for a few more years, and it says I'm allowed to work off campus. I've consulted immigration advisors and they said they we're allowed to work full time during regularly scheduled school breaks (winter, summer breaks).

But in my case, I'm currently suspended, but I'm starting school in September just like any other post secondary student. I am technically on a regularly scheduled school break since most colleges/unis have summers from may to September The only difference is I'm starting at a new school. Is it legal for me to work full-time this summer in this case?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but do not think it is a scheduled break given you are suspended and no longer current in the uoft program so there is no break given you are not returning to that course in the fall. Also because you are starting a new program at another college but have not completed the original program that would not support working either in the May to September period.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi!

I'm an international student at uoft and I'm currently on 3 year suspension (starting may 2019). However, I've already applied to another program at a college, got accepted and will start there in September. My study is valid for a few more years, and it says I'm allowed to work off campus. I've consulted immigration advisors and they said they we're allowed to work full time during regularly scheduled school breaks (winter, summer breaks).

But in my case, I'm currently suspended, but I'm starting school in September just like any other post secondary student. I am technically on a regularly scheduled school break since most colleges/unis have summers from may to September The only difference is I'm starting at a new school. Is it legal for me to work full-time this summer in this case?
You aren't on a regularly scheduled break. You were suspended and are no longer a full-time student. You cannot work until you once again resume your studies in September.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I would check the validity of your study permit as well. If UoT reported your suspension to IRCC, it may have been cancelled/will be cancelled. No harm in ensuring right?

Agree that you CANNOT work. There is no technicality. You were in FACT suspended.

jenma2017

Sep 27, 2017
well can i apply for a work permit then? i know we can only get one for skilled work, but what if i apply for a chef job at a restaurant? cooking is a skill right? i know that people go to cooking school, get post grad work permits in cooking and then become permanent residents. so will i be able to apply for a work permit for a chef job?

jenma2017

Sep 27, 2017
I would check the validity of your study permit as well. If UoT reported your suspension to IRCC, it may have been cancelled/will be cancelled. No harm in ensuring right?

Agree that you CANNOT work. There is no technicality. You were in FACT suspended.
how do i check if it's still valid?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
well can i apply for a work permit then? i know we can only get one for skilled work, but what if i apply for a chef job at a restaurant? cooking is a skill right? i know that people go to cooking school, get post grad work permits in cooking and then become permanent residents. so will i be able to apply for a work permit for a chef job?
To apply for a work permit, you need a job offer and approved LMIA from an employer.

You don't qualify for a PGWP since you haven't completed your studies.