+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as a freelancer as a student

Discussion in 'International Students' started by hussainkestrel, Aug 14, 2019.

  1. #1 hussainkestrel, Aug 14, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Hey i am working as a freelancer in Canada. I complete tests which take 10-20 minutes so how can I calculate how many hours have I worked so that I would not exceed the 20 hours limit and how will cic sees this? @Helican @scylla
  2. What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
    • An activity which does not really 'take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
    Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:

    • volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as sitting on the board of a charity or religious institution; being a 'big brother' or 'big sister' to a child; being on the telephone line at a rape crisis centre (normally this activity would be part time and incidental to the main reason that a person is in Canada);
    • unremunerated help by a friend or family member during a visit, such as a mother assisting a daughter with childcare, or an uncle helping his nephew build his own cottage;
    • long distance (by telephone or Internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
    • self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market, nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim;
    • short-term educational exchanges by high school students through international arrangements, such as the Regional Joint Cooperation Commission between Atlantic Canada and the archipelago of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon.
    Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/what-is-work.html

    So since this is not considered as work then there would be no restrictions on it. I called the IRCC and confirmed this from them. I am not sure whether we are supposed to file taxes on this but it is confirmed that it would be considered work if the money is coming from outside Canada and the company has no physical building in Canada.
  3. In this case you would have to file taxes in the country where you are receiving the money.
  4. You will also have to declare the income as income made outside of Canada when or if you are filing Canadian tax return.
  5. So how much tax do they deduct on income made outside the country?
  6. Depends on whether there is a tax treaty with the country.
  7. The money will be coming from US, any idea?

Share This Page