+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

working as a chemical engineer on work permit in canada

sw6lee

Star Member
Mar 18, 2012
Hi guys, I'm currently studying chemical engineering in a reputable university in ontario, and I'm a visa student. I would like to eventually get a PR here via CEC and would love to live and work in Toronto. However, I'm worried that it would be much more difficult for me to get employed because I'll be working on a work permit, and I'm a foreigner. Employers tend to hire Canadian citizens and permanent residents first, then consider foreigners. Am I correct? Please advise. I would appreciate serious answers only.

Thanks.

jumbo_ws

Mar 16, 2011
Hi,

I was on a student visa completed my studies in Canada, I am currently on Post Graduate Working Visa.
I dont think there is a leverage from you to a canadian citizen/PR. You just need to work hard in securing a position. Plus
employee cannot ask if you are on working permit or citizen. They can only ask if you required sponsorship but not what kind of resident you are.

The job market is pretty competative now, so start early in applying for positions.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sw6lee said:
Hi guys, I'm currently studying chemical engineering in a reputable university in ontario, and I'm a visa student. I would like to eventually get a PR here via CEC and would love to live and work in Toronto. However, I'm worried that it would be much more difficult for me to get employed because I'll be working on a work permit, and I'm a foreigner. Employers tend to hire Canadian citizens and permanent residents first, then consider foreigners. Am I correct? Please advise. I would appreciate serious answers only.
Employers care whether you are authorized for employment, of course. Employers are required to consider Canadian citizens/permanent residents before they can get a labour market opinion (required for a temporary work permit). However, as a student, depending on the number of years you have studied here in Canada, you will likely be eligible for a post-graduation work permit, which would authorize you to work in Canada for up to 3 years.

It can be difficult for any recent grad (foreigner or otherwise) to get that first job; what makes it harder for you is that in order to qualify for CEC, the job must be classified as skilled.

Take advantage of any internship and summer employment opportunities you might have, those are excellent paths to post-graduation employment (if you do a good job).

Also, I don't know what stage you are at in your studies, but you should be aware that if you want to work as a ChemE, you will be better off with at least a master's degree. And in Ontario, the PNP program (Opportunties Ontario) now has a PR stream for student who earn a master's degree...
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html

error

Dec 30, 2011
Get as much co-op experience as you can, and try to develop a network of useful contacts while you are in school. 80% of all positions never get advertised. You can also go to grad school and get MSc/PhD.