+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working as a caregiver and wish to be a nurse, what to start?

Forever222

Sep 28, 2013
Basically I have been living here about 27 days only. I was thinking what i am going to after my 24 months is done. I have heard a lot of people who once used to work as a caregiver and can be a nurse after they have take a course of something about nurse ( i don't know exactly what its called anyways)

I have bachelors degree in Art (Tourism), after graduated from University i worked as a receptionist at a hotel for almost a year then Au Pair in the US for 2 years, after that got back home and worked as a sales coordinator for a year. Time flies, i felt my home country was not right for me. then i have told myself going to Canada would be the best choice as i still have my 2 years experience of childcare in the US and my ex-host family was cheer up and sent me their reference right away when they knew i planed to go to Canada.

I don't know any careers that would match with caregiver experiences than a nurse. Please give me advise of what to start first? take a non-credit class? How much does a nurse get an hour? I thought for those who wants to become nurses, they have to learn math, science,right? this is what make me fail. PS.. I live in a small town where the populations only 2,xxx in AB (about 2 hrs to Edmonton). There is NO buses or subways. The only way is driving. I just got my driving license yesterday.

thank you so much in advance and hope you understand my English.
have a good day.
God bless you good people

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you want to become a nurse, you would need to complete a four year university bachelors degree in nursing. So you would have to go back to school full time for four years.

Another alternative would be to become a nursing assistant. Although the pay of nursing assistants is obviously lower than nurses. Becoming a nursing assistant typically involves completing a two year college diploma (two years if you attend full time - longer if you take the courses part time).

You would start by enrolling either in the college nursing assistant diploma or the university nursing degree.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's going to be a long term plan for you. After your 24 months, you can apply for your PR and open work permit. You could then move to a bigger town if you want to and rent a room or an apartment and get a different job. However, if you want to study, you are still not a PR so you would need a study permit and you would have to pay international student fees and they are a lot higher than those of PR's. Therefore, I would suggest that you work for the 3 years it may take for you to get your PR and only start studying when you have it.

Forever222

Sep 28, 2013
scylla said:
If you want to become a nurse, you would need to complete a four year university bachelors degree in nursing. So you would have to go back to school full time for four years.

Another alternative would be to become a nursing assistant. Although the pay of nursing assistants is obviously lower than nurses. Becoming a nursing assistant typically involves completing a two year college diploma (two years if you attend full time - longer if you take the courses part time).

You would start by enrolling either in the college nursing assistant diploma or the university nursing degree.
Thank you so much for your reply. I keep checking back my topic a lot. Would you recommended me of the names of university nursing degree with inexpensive semesters's fees, please? And what do you think of how much nurses and nursing assistants get an hour?

Forever222

Sep 28, 2013
Leon said:
It's going to be a long term plan for you. After your 24 months, you can apply for your PR and open work permit. You could then move to a bigger town if you want to and rent a room or an apartment and get a different job. However, if you want to study, you are still not a PR so you would need a study permit and you would have to pay international student fees and they are a lot higher than those of PR's. Therefore, I would suggest that you work for the 3 years it may take for you to get your PR and only start studying when you have it.
Thank you so much for your suggestion, Leon. I am very appreciated that. I will keep myself update to what you have advise me.
Have a good day!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Forever222 said:
Thank you so much for your reply. I keep checking back my topic a lot. Would you recommended me of the names of university nursing degree with inexpensive semesters's fees, please? And what do you think of how much nurses and nursing assistants get an hour?
I'm afraid I don't any any information on hourly pay and don't know of any inexpensive schools. Keep in mind that you will pay a lot more in tuition if you start attending school before you become a permanent resident (don't be surprised if the tuition is $20K per year).

Forever222

Sep 28, 2013
scylla said:
I'm afraid I don't any any information on hourly pay and don't know of any inexpensive schools. Keep in mind that you will pay a lot more in tuition if you start attending school before you become a permanent resident (don't be surprised if the tuition is $20K per year).
That's okey. No problem but thank you so much for your time replying me. That means a lot to me either.
I think i will wait until i get PR, so the fees will be the like Canadians. And as a work permit that i got it doesn't allow me to go to college like Leon said.