+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working after rec. AIP?????

rgvinson777

Dec 12, 2007
I am an American citizen married to a Canadian woman. I live outside of Canada (Washington State) and am applying for perm. res. status. Can I move to Canada and work in Canada once I receive notice from immigration of "Approval in Principle?" What 'work permit' forms must I submit with my PR Application.
Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Nope. You won't be able to work until you have successfully landed and have your Social Insurance number.

If you're applying for PR, you don't need to submit any work permit forms.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Thanks tamee. Yes, AIP is only for inland processing. I was looking at him living in Washington State.

From the policy and program manuals..

5.37. Work and study permits

Applicants who have been approved against eligibility requirements, and received an approval in principle, may apply for work or study permits pending the outcome of admissibility checks (i.e. medical, security and background checks). Officers are responsible for determining the
appropriate duration of work or study permits after considering the factors specific to each case.

Such factors may include, among others:

• time frames for results related to admissibility checks;
• the probability of departure if the applicant is refused; and
• pertinent facts derived from previous experience with similar case circumstances.

It may therefore be reasonable to issue work or study permits for periods of short duration (i.e. 12 months or less).
Studies where the registered course of study is completed in its entirety in less than six months do not require a permit.

Note that if you leave Canada at any time during your in-Canada application process, you will not be allowed to return until the application has been approved.