+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working abroad while being on a PR status in Canada

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Hi there,

So since now people are working from home, I have seen people traveling abroad to their home country and continue working there, and I'm doing that as well.

I was wondering how would that affect my PR status in Canada and/or, when I apply for citizenship.

I have read online that I need to stay at least 730 days in Canada during the five years period in order to maintain my status, and I also read that:

It depends on what you do and who you travel with. Your time outside of Canada may count toward your permanent resident status if you meet 1 of these conditions:

You work outside Canada
You need to work full-time for:

• a Canadian business or organization, or
  • the Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government

I'm currently hired as a full time employee in a company in Montreal as a software engineer, and I'm still being paid and I pay my taxes while being away from Canada for several months, does this apply to me? The reason why I'm confused is because my company is originally American but it has offices in Canada so I don't know "Canadian" business applies to it as well.

Second, Assuming that I stay outside of Canada for a year and half during the last 5 years and then I apply for citizenship (After being present for 3 years), will I face any problem because I lived outside for some months? Application wise/tax wise etc..

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You can only claim towards your residency obligation if a Canadian company that you worked for in Canada has assigned you on a temporary basis to a role outside of Canada. This does not apply if was your choice to leave the country even if still working remotely for the same company.

For citizenship you need to show a minimum of 3 years physical residence in the 5 years preceding the application date. As long as you can prove that it doesn’t matter if you had been out of the country for some time in the 5 years. Citizenship applications require actual physical residence.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

So since now people are working from home, I have seen people traveling abroad to their home country and continue working there, and I'm doing that as well.

I was wondering how would that affect my PR status in Canada and/or, when I apply for citizenship.

I have read online that I need to stay at least 730 days in Canada during the five years period in order to maintain my status, and I also read that:

I'm currently hired as a full time employee in a company in Montreal as a software engineer, and I'm still being paid and I pay my taxes while being away from Canada for several months, does this apply to me? The reason why I'm confused is because my company is originally American but it has offices in Canada so I don't know "Canadian" business applies to it as well.

Second, Assuming that I stay outside of Canada for a year and half during the last 5 years and then I apply for citizenship (After being present for 3 years), will I face any problem because I lived outside for some months? Application wise/tax wise etc..

Thanks
The answer is "it depends".

If you started off as an employee in Canada and then at a later date were transferred to a temporary role outside of Canada and working in their offices outside of Canada, then yes, you can count this time towards PR.

If you were hired directly for the role outside of Canada, then no.

If you are working remotely from outside of Canada due to COVID-19, then also no.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

Thanks
Is your employer aware that you are working remotely from another country? If you are working outside Canada for over 6 months things get more complicated because you may or may not be a PR for tax reasons. You may also lose your health coverage and need to reapply when you return.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Is your employer aware that you are working remotely from another country? If you are working outside Canada for over 6 months things get more complicated because you may or may not be a PR for tax reasons. You may also lose your health coverage and need to reapply when you return.
I'm aware of the health coverage in Quebec, but not aware of the PR with tax reasons.

I pay my taxes in Canada. As if I am still living in Canada, and yes he is aware. He had no comment on this, it's not the first time I do it but this time I'm staying a bit longer.

Do you have reference for losing PR due to tax reasons?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm aware of the health coverage in Quebec, but not aware of the PR with tax reasons.

I pay my taxes in Canada. As if I am still living in Canada, and yes he is aware. He had no comment on this, it's not the first time I do it but this time I'm staying a bit longer.

Do you have reference for losing PR due to tax reasons?
Not sure what you're talking about. I never said you would lose your PR.

Whether you are or not a PR tax reasons is not dependent on you but on your situation.

Keyjoe23

Jul 31, 2015
Not sure what you're talking about. I never said you would lose your PR.

Whether you are or not a PR tax reasons is not dependent on you but on your situation.
Ok I guess I misunderstood when you said "may or may not be a PR for tax reasons", since I mentioned that I'm on PR, that sentence made it sound like "losing"