+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working abroad for a canadian company

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hello, If I work remotely for a Canadian company meanwhile I am abroad (I am canadian citizen) for 5 months during the year, can I pay my taxes as I do when living in Canada? If so, to what province I pay my taxes if on December 31st I was outside Canada? What would happen If I keep abroad for more than 5 or 6 months? I would only keep my bank account to get my salary and my canadian credit card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, If I work remotely for a Canadian company meanwhile I am abroad (I am canadian citizen) for 5 months during the year, can I pay my taxes as I do when living in Canada? If so, to what province I pay my taxes if on December 31st I was outside Canada? What would happen If I keep abroad for more than 5 or 6 months? I would only keep my bank account to get my salary and my canadian credit card.
You would pay your taxes in the province you live in for the other 7 months. If you are abroad for more than 6 months you need to speak to CRA to determine if you are a tax resident or not. You also may no longer be eligible for provincial healthcare if you don't spend enough time in Canada even if you have a valid health card. You could be asked to pay back any services you use.